BerthaBoo

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
Alberta, Canada
Hi all, I had a broody hatch out 5 chicks, and one was still in the egg a day after the rest. Because momma is flighty and was already taking breaks off the nest, I took this one inside and popped it in the incubator hoping it would finish the hatch. I ended up having to assist the hatch, but the baby is out now and fluffing up.

This morning it was having huge difficulty even lifting it’s head and moving around, it was just kinda pushing itself and scooting forward. It looks soooooo weak, but it’s chirping and trying to peck at the food. I’ve given it poul-vite in water and it can lift its head up now and isn’t falling backwards as much, but still looks like it’s struggling to walk. Do I just keep going with the vitamins and hope for the best or is there something else I can do? I’ve attached some photos of it, I’ll try and attach a video.

Attachments

• 2C345B09-B2E1-4B42-8687-8DFFEE2D15BB.jpeg
    2C345B09-B2E1-4B42-8687-8DFFEE2D15BB.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 3DA04E92-5114-4B7D-A1CF-F9374BDD9B6F.jpeg
    3DA04E92-5114-4B7D-A1CF-F9374BDD9B6F.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 12
It might be a failure to thrive, but I would try sugar water or coconut water if you have it on hand. I won't pretend to be an expert, but that's what has worked for me.

Sometimes, an assisted hatch takes a little longer to get strong. Experience tells me that. I just had a Serama pip at the small end of the egg, and it had totally exhausted itself. I assisted (something I never take lightly). The chick mostly slept for the first 48 hours. Now, you wouldn’t even know it was an assisted hatch. Try not to worry too much. It’s hard… believe me, I know. From all you’ve described, your chick is a fighter. I hope all goes well. Keep us updated.

Sometimes, an assisted hatch takes a little longer to get strong. Experience tells me that. I just had a Serama pip at the small end of the egg, and it had totally exhausted itself. I assisted (something I never take lightly). The chick mostly slept for the first 48 hours. Now, you wouldn’t even know it was an assisted hatch. Try not to worry too much. It’s hard… believe me, I know. From all you’ve described, your chick is a fighter. I hope all goes well. Keep us updated.
Okay, that gives me encouragement. I have it set up with a brooder plate and some food and water, and I’ll just let it rest.

Because it’s alone should I bring in another chick for it? I’m worried mom will already reject this one when and if it gets stronger, and I don’t want her to potentially reject another chick because I grabbed it to hang out with this little guy.

How’s long ago was it born?
Fully formed? No yolk sac hanging out or anything?
Hatched out fully sometime last night, so likely 6-8 hours ago. I assisted about half of the way, and then left it attached to the bottom half of the shell in the incubator in case it was still attached to yolk.
Fully formed as far as I can tell, but it is tiny. No yolk sac at all, but this morning it was dragging around a piece of its bottom shell still attached by the umbilical. And there was a concerning amount of dried blood in the shell and in the incubator. I find it odd that the yolk absorbed but it seems some veins didn't recede? The umbilical cord (is that what you call it for a chick?) was dried so I snipped it.

Hatched out fully sometime last night, so likely 6-8 hours ago. I assisted about half of the way, and then left it attached to the bottom half of the shell in the incubator in case it was still attached to yolk.
Fully formed as far as I can tell, but it is tiny. No yolk sac at all, but this morning it was dragging around a piece of its bottom shell still attached by the umbilical. And there was a concerning amount of dried blood in the shell and in the incubator. I find it odd that the yolk absorbed but it seems some veins didn't recede? The umbilical cord (is that what you call it for a chick?) was dried so I snipped it.
It might be taking sometime for it to get up on it's feet and learn to walk. Could you post a video?

Okay, that gives me encouragement. I have it set up with a brooder plate and some food and water, and I’ll just let it rest.

Because it’s alone should I bring in another chick for it? I’m worried mom will already reject this one when and if it gets stronger, and I don’t want her to potentially reject another chick because I grabbed it to hang out with this little guy.
I can only tell you how I’d handle it. I would bring one of her siblings in to keep her company. Brood them away from the mama, since this teeny one is behind. Then, you could grow the 2 out together, and introduce them to the flock later. Your chick will thrive with a sibling, rather than alone. Please let us know how she’s doing. 🥰 She has a greater chance away from a mama that could harm her.

Back
Top Bottom