Help! Newbie and not sure what is wrong with my baby chicks leg..

AllyMitch

Hatching
Mar 6, 2023
Hey there!! A week ago I got my baby chicks!! They all arrived in GREAT condition, absolutely nothing wrong with them. I’ve been reading about chickens for a year now to prepare myself.

However After four days one of my chicks has been acting strange. To me it seems like she has a weak leg. She doesn’t have splayed legs as I’ve researched and also asked around.. she will eat and drink and even walk around!! After a few seconds of walking around, she will just fall down and spread her leg out. It’s always the same leg she spreads out. I’m not really sure what is wrong… has anyone had this happen or can anyone help me?? I’ll try and attach pics.

Attachments

• 6D270E94-A624-4809-80CC-C932818C9EB3.jpeg
    6D270E94-A624-4809-80CC-C932818C9EB3.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 45
Try giving her some vitamin B2. You can use human B complex supplement from the pharmacy. It takes a few days to wirk if that is the cause of the problem. It is akso very safe so worth trying just in case.
Mine was a little older. I will try and find the link to the thread i made for her.

Try giving her some vitamin B2. You can use human B complex supplement from the pharmacy. It takes a few days to wirk if that is the cause of the problem. It is akso very safe so worth trying just in case.
Mine was a little older. I will try and find the link to the thread i made for her.
Thank you so much!!

Hey there!! A week ago I got my baby chicks!! They all arrived in GREAT condition, absolutely nothing wrong with them. I’ve been reading about chickens for a year now to prepare myself.

However After four days one of my chicks has been acting strange. To me it seems like she has a weak leg. She doesn’t have splayed legs as I’ve researched and also asked around.. she will eat and drink and even walk around!! After a few seconds of walking around, she will just fall down and spread her leg out. It’s always the same leg she spreads out. I’m not really sure what is wrong… has anyone had this happen or can anyone help me?? I’ll try and attach pics.
Hello I have a minute of experience but i’ve read a lot also… That is a scary and helpless feeling, I would separate the chic from the others as she could be further injured because of weak legs,
keep her hydrated with 1 tsp. sugar 1 cup plain water… give by dropper just make sure she drinks offer food freely…she may just lay down because she has tendon damage, I’ve noticed that most little chicks survive and do well. Watch the other chicks as they can be barbaric to each other and sorry to say they are a pack mentality and often bully the ill.

Back
Top Bottom