A few of my 4 week old chicks having trouble walking all of a sudden. Please help.

Rockin F Ranch

Hatching
Jun 26, 2023

Please help me with my 4 week old chicks!​

Hi! My sis-in-law ordered me 14 baby chicks from a hatchery. I received them by mail on May 30th so they’re approximately 4 weeks old. I have them in a pen in my laundry room. I just removed the heat lamp 3 days ago because they have most of their feathers. They have all been thriving, eating, drinking, and growing. I feed them organic chicken starter and change their water several times a day. I have them on puppy pads and pine chips. Yesterday morning (Sunday) I woke up to 5 of them not able to walk well. They act like their legs aren’t working and they are panting. I separated them from the others. They’re still eating and drinking but just really have a hard time getting around. What could this be? I’ve started adding vitamins, probiotics, and electrolytes to their water also. Have any of you experienced this with your chicks? Do I need to treat them with a medicine? The other 9 seem to still be doing well.

Please help me with my 4 week old chicks!​

Hi! My sis-in-law ordered me 14 baby chicks from a hatchery. I received them by mail on May 30th so they’re approximately 4 weeks old. I have them in a pen in my laundry room. I just removed the heat lamp 3 days ago because they have most of their feathers. They have all been thriving, eating, drinking, and growing. I feed them organic chicken starter and change their water several times a day. I have them on puppy pads and pine chips. Yesterday morning (Sunday) I woke up to 5 of them not able to walk well. They act like their legs aren’t working and they are panting. I separated them from the others. They’re still eating and drinking but just really have a hard time getting around. What could this be? I’ve started adding vitamins, probiotics, and electrolytes to their water also. Have any of you experienced this with your chicks? Do I need to treat them with a medicine? The other 9 seem to still be doing well.
Have they spent anytime outside?

Yesterday morning (Sunday) I woke up to 5 of them not able to walk well. They act like their legs aren’t working and they are panting. I separated them from the others. They’re still eating and drinking but just really have a hard time getting around.
Can you post photos of your setup/brooder and the chicks?

When are you planning on getting them outside?

Could they have suffered injury, been dropped or trampled?

Back
Top Bottom