Chick hatched with swollen yellow belly?

The eggs were shipped (across country, so long tough trip). Out of 56 eggs, 18 hatched. 3 are very weak and floppy, 1 passed already, 1 with deformed legs, and this little one with the funky tummy.
Many of the chicks tried zipping But some got stuck by this super sticky fluid that seemed to cement them in. I've hatched quite a few batches of chicks and never ever had any issues like this, I'm tottaly heart broken.

I'll upload a few more photos and get some antibiotic cream on that little chicks belly.

Black chick with deformed legs is now in what I could make of a splint. Poor guy. The vet advised me on how to make it but the cost of getting her to visit would be insane. So I'm trying this before we get her in.

Attachments

• 20170522_133634.jpg
    20170522_133634.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20170522_190148.jpg
    20170522_190148.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 23
Poor little thing.
Looks like you are doing great job with her already.

Some people sell eggs just for the money, they do not care if their parent stock birds are healthy or not. It can make a huge difference.

I've been giving poly vi sol vitamins? I didn't ask her but I read on a thread here that it helps. A few drops a few times a Day? Is that right? I'm worried about her sucking it into her lungs so I use a Qtip and I rub it on its beak... I don't know if it's going to work though. Any suggestions would be great!

Last edited:
looks like you did the right thing for the ones legs, and yes vitamins will help a lot
poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron 2-3x/day about 3-5 drops
and of course make sure they are staying hydrated

if they were sticky wet chicks the humidity may have been too high at the beginning of incubation
how did ACs look at lock-down??

looks like you did the right thing for the ones legs, and yes vitamins will help a lot
poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron 2-3x/day about 3-5 drops
and of course make sure they are staying hydrated

if they were sticky wet chicks the humidity may have been too high at the beginning of incubation
how did ACs look at lock-down??

The chick with the deformed leg was dispatched by the vet. She said that she was confident that it's deformity wasn't fixable. It felt as if it's joints had fused together :(

I read that low humidity causes sticky chicks? Is that wrong information?

Now I have a new problem. Some chicks have goopy eyes and are sneezing!! This is the worst experience ever. I'll never purchase eggs that have to be shipped ever again. What a mess :(

Last edited:
Gahh! I had 8 chicks shrink wrapped and then a few sticky chicks hatched. I had made the conclusion that my humidity was low, but now I'm super confused. This is the very first batch that I've ever had issues with. I almost had 100% hatch success in past hatches. I thought I had my incubator figured out and down to science. Chicks keep dropping. I lost two more since yesterday. Just super weak and floppy. Not sure what's happening :(

The brooder has pine chips covered by paper towel. I didn't think it was dusty but I'm going to change it to be certain.

I mixed some Greek yogurt ( to help with the pasty butt) with chick starter and added a few drops of vitamins (poly-vi-sol) and added antibiotics (tetracyline) to their water. I know antibiotics is controversial but I paid a ridiculous amount for these "show quality" birds and they just keep dropping. Praying it helps the sickly chicks and prevents the others from getting sick or catches it early enough if it is actually a disease.

I cleaned the little stuffy nosed/goopy eyed chick already, but I'll take pics when she fills up again.

Back
Top Bottom