Chick hatched without upper eyelids—what can I do?

Haleth

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Southern California
I just had a Show Girl chick hatch without any upper eyelids about an hour ago. I thought I noticed something was wrong when I checked in on her progress earlier; it kind of looked like her eye was too large. Now that she's hatched, I see that she can't fully close her eyes at all, just move the lower lids. I wish I could take a picture or video, but I can't find my camera. I'm hoping that someone can give me some kind of hope so I don't have to cull her. I had to cull one of my hens earlier this week, the first time ever. If I DO have to cull this chick, I guess I'd like to do it soon, before her eyes get dried out and/or infected, and maybe it won't be as difficult as culling my poor Serama girl.

Does anyone have any advice or experience to share with me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oh, I was afraid it'd be so.
sad.png
Thanks, CMV.

Thanks, 3chimama and hd_mechanic. The deed is done. I couldn't leave her, as hard as it was. Her eyes were already developing a film or something over them from the brooder light. I didn't think there was much of a chance for her, but I was hoping someone had had a similar experience and...I don't know, could tell me how to fix her eyes. It was far-fetched, I guess. Thanks again for the advice and sympathy. This would've been harder without BYC.

Back
Top Bottom