Chick hatching in coop and it is freezing

Melinda35

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
I have a chick hatching out in my coop and it is freezing already. Since I am in central Texas I do not have a completely enclosed coop. My hens and roosters do just fine with this but I am concerned about the chick. Of course it is in a wooden nest box with mom so I am hoping she will keep it warm. I have never had eggs hatch before so I am very excited about this.

Should I go out and bring the chick inside? I am worried about the mom killing it.

Thanks!

If it were me (and I have never dealt with a broody hen before so you can take this with a grain of salt)

I would put both mom and chick in a dog kennel or brooder in the garage or some other coop with a light bulb safely secured two ways near them (but not so it was a fire hazard).

They will stay warm this way, and safe. Just my opinion!!!

It should be fine. The chick will stay under mom and she will keep it nice and warm. Nature knows best.
wink.png
As long as it is dry every thing should be fine. I am from TX as well and I have had several broodies hatch chicks in the middle of winter and every thing was fine. Best of luck.

She has 13 other eggs under her. Actually 15 eggs because every time she gets out of the next some one else gets in and lays another egg. I threw 12 out the other day and left 14 after I candled them. Tonight there were 16. Very frustrating. Next time I will have her secluded away from everyone else. I honestly did not expect any of the eggs to hatch. I certainly hope I have more than one because if you are going to have one you might as well have 14, right?

If I do bring anyone in it would be the chick only. I can't bring in momma. I don't have the set up for that and it is way to dark for me to go rumaging around in the shed. I will keep an eye on them. I don't know how long it will take the chick to get out of the shell. About two hours ago there were pieces of the shell missing and I could see the chick and tell that it was breathing. Any ideas how long this will take?

Thanks for all the advice!

It all depends on the chick. Could be an hour or several. Sounds like you are going to have a staggered hatch. Just a word of warning you may have to set up a brooder box and take away the chicks that hatch to allow the others time to hatch. How far apart in development are they? If they are only a day or two you can take the hatched chicks each day and once all the eggs hatch you can slip the chicks back under her at night. Just make sure she doesn't freak out too much and abandon the nest.

ETA: The next time you have a hen brood you can mark the eggs you want her to set on and remove the newly laid ones daily. This will prevent this problem in the future.

Last edited:
I would wait until this 1st chick is born and then I would put the hen and her chick and remaining clutch in a dog crate so the other hens don't bother her anymore. She'll be able to keep the eggs/chicks warm w/o any problem, but she might not be able to keep the other hens from disturbing her, stepping on the newborns, or rousting her out altogether and the chicks getting cold or pecked at/killed. Just make sure that the chicks can get to water and feed very close to her so that they don't have to be away from her for very long. This part of their learning process is harder when the temps are low.

Oh, and some hens will leave their clutch of eggs in a day or two, as soon as they have a few active chicks to take care of. Some, on the other hand, will just sit forever patiently on eggs of different due dates just fine, juggling both chicks and eggs underneath them.

I would have a brooder at the ready and either take the chicks as they hatch and put them in it....*or* if you leave chicks with her, keep a very close eye on her, because if she abandons the eggs in cold temps to focus on the chicks, they unborn ones will die in the shell very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom