Chick have infection?

Rose98

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
So had a few chicks hatch in an incubator yesterday and day before. All are fine except one unzipped half way and stopped. 8 hours later it was the same so i quickly got it out and put it in a smaller incubator. I found it was glued in hard. Wrapped it in damp paper towel and it manged to get itself out.
Once out i realised it hadnt absorbed all the yolk. I have put it in a cup hoping it would finish it. 24 hours later not sure if its absorbed more or not but it is still really sleepy (compared to others) have feed it sugar water and normal water and it pecked at some cooked egg yolk i did for it. It has done a number of normal looking poo's. It was really strong at the start but seems to have lost a lot of its fight now. Any suggestions? I want to give it a fair go at life... but has it got an infection?

20181030_200051.jpg
Thanks, see pics below. Bit hard to get a proper pic but noticed its intestines are also hanging out.... we managed to get these back in all the way. Any suggestions on what to use to hold them in place?

Thanks wyorp rock. It has been about 36 hours now..... please note black stuff is dried yolk. The pink/orange on the side is an intestine before we pushed it back in. Will the black yolk drop off?
Just dont know if i can bring myself to culling it!....

Yes, the yolk will dry up and fall off.

My biggest concern would be the intestine was coming out and bacteria being introduced when pushing it back it.
All you can do it hope for the best and try to get her hydrated. Sugar water is fine, but if you have something like Poultry Nutri-Drench, I would give her 1-2drops of that daily as well.

I understand, sometimes the thought of culling can be a hard thing to do. I hope she starts to improve, please keep us posted.

Thanks again. Appreciate your help. I dont want this chick to suffer for no reason. But jave actually become a little attached and learnt its personality after giving it so much care. But i cant be selfish either so its hard
Just checked it now at first thought it was dead as it was so still and quite but did give a few sqwarks. Gave it a bit more water which it drank, didnt open its eyes at all.
We put the intestines back in with beterdine dipped q tip. So fingers crossed no infection.
It hasnt drank that much since we put the intestines back it it but it also hasnt done a poo ( approx 12 hours) possible we have made a blockage or domething?

Thanks again. Appreciate your help. I dont want this chick to suffer for no reason. But jave actually become a little attached and learnt its personality after giving it so much care. But i cant be selfish either so its hard
Just checked it now at first thought it was dead as it was so still and quite but did give a few sqwarks. Gave it a bit more water which it drank, didnt open its eyes at all.
We put the intestines back in with beterdine dipped q tip. So fingers crossed no infection.
It hasnt drank that much since we put the intestines back it it but it also hasnt done a poo ( approx 12 hours) possible we have made a blockage or domething?
You'll need to try to get it hydrated. Not pooping in approx 12hrs does not sound too good.

When the intestines are handled or manipulated in any human or animal, there can be a temporary paralysis of the bowel for a time. So hopefully, it will start working, but my guess is that there could be infection, or the chick is just too weak to make it. Please let us know how this turns out, and good luck to you.

Thanks for the advise. Managed to get a decent amount of water into it.
However unfortunately it died a few minutes ago.... think it must have been an infection. Thanks for your help again

Back
Top Bottom