chick having an issue...

PegMCH

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2021
My sister noticed one of our 2 week old chicks having problems this evening. It seems to be shivering(not cold) and unstable on its legs, holding its wings out a bit from sides. the other chick is acting just fine and Momma bird as well. I bought Electrolites and Probiotics to add to water on my way home from work. Mixed some up, gave to this chick with a dropper plus put a waterer full in coop along with plain water. Have never had a problem with any chicks in the past, these were hatched here and were just put out with momma last week. we keep them in a seperate coop until they get big enough not to get eaten by the cats. Does this sound like a good start ?? And is there anything else I should or could be doing ?? Also, they are getting Chick Starter feed.

Issues in the Nervous system and weakness are signs of hypoglycemia so I would recommend giving your chick a little bit of molasses or honey mixed with water.

Sounds like you are off to a good start 👍

My sister noticed one of our 2 week old chicks having problems this evening. It seems to be shivering(not cold) and unstable on its legs, holding its wings out a bit from sides. the other chick is acting just fine and Momma bird as well. I bought Electrolites and Probiotics to add to water on my way home from work. Mixed some up, gave to this chick with a dropper plus put a waterer full in coop along with plain water. Have never had a problem with any chicks in the past, these were hatched here and were just put out with momma last week. we keep them in a seperate coop until they get big enough not to get eaten by the cats. Does this sound like a good start ?? And is there anything else I should or could be doing ?? Also, they are getting Chick Starter feed.
Can you please get a video of the chick? Upload to youtube and provide a link.
If not, some photos of the chick and it's poop.

The electrolytes are fine to give, this will hopefully give the chick a needed boost. Is Mamma taking care of this chick? Do you see it eating/drinking on it's own?

As of this time, the momma is keeping the chick warm and safe. I will try to get video tomorrow and to see if eating on its own. But it did make effort to take in the water I gave it via dropper.

The electrolytes are fine to give, this will hopefully give the chick a needed boost. Is Mamma taking care of this chick? Do you see it eating/drinking on it's own?

Good Morning...morning update on chick. still wobbly and not walking well, but is eating and drinking on its own this morning.I cant figure out how to share a video...sadly...chirping louder this morning as well. I also think its going to be a rooster..LOL..pointy little tail feathers..

Good Morning...morning update on chick. still wobbly and not walking well, but is eating and drinking on its own this morning.I cant figure out how to share a video...sadly...chirping louder this morning as well. I also think its going to be a rooster..LOL..pointy little tail feathers..
I can share to my Instagram....would that work ???

You can share instagram or upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If you have Poultry Nutri-Drink, give the chick 2-3 drops twice a day to see if that helps.
I'm sure you have checked to make sure there's no swelling of the leg joints and observed the chick to rule out splay/spraddle leg.

You can share instagram or upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If you have Poultry Nutri-Drink, give the chick 2-3 drops twice a day to see if that helps.
I'm sure you have checked to make sure there's no swelling of the leg joints and observed the chick to rule out splay/spraddle leg.
Ok...will try that....
Yes,legs look good but he just can seem to stay up on them for more than a few moments. Eating and drinking quite well. Got Sav-a-Chick probiotic and Electrolytes and mixed those up to give....he is drinking that and plain water nicely. Poops look normal.

Back
Top Bottom