Chick healthy but not growing?

TXChixRock

Songster
7 Years
Aug 2, 2016
Spring Branch, TX
In my first batch of 4 chicks, 3 have doubled in size and wing feathers are developing rapidly. These chicks are roughly 1 1/2 weeks old . The 4th chick has hardly grown with almost no wing development . I “think” she’s a cream legbar, but not sure. (I got a Whiting True Blue, rose comb leghorn, Ameraucana and a cream legbar, according to the signage). Here’s the question: should I be concerned she’s not grown or feathered out like the others? Her poop is fine, she’s eating & drinking well & running around with the bigger girls just fine. Pictures attached. In the picture with 2 chicks circled for comparison, they were both from the same batch. The other picture of the 3 chicks are all from the same batch, so I assumed they would be similar in size. She looks slightly larger than the new chicks I got this week at just a few days old. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpeg
    IMG_2054.jpeg
    536.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2053.jpeg
    IMG_2053.jpeg
    769.5 KB · Views: 19
Could be failure to thrive, it could catch up or not.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed and watch her closely. Her crop is full each night and empty in the morning and she runs around like crazy so I take that as a good sign. She’s become like the annoying little sister. Hoping she’ll catch up!

As long as chick doesn’t peep a lot I certainly would give it a try.

Keep the tiny chick warm.
Give some water with electrolytes (search for diy recipes) - hold a drop at the beak. Give wet chick feed.
Maybe she will catch up or maybe she has some bantam genes and stays small her entire life.

In my first batch of 4 chicks, 3 have doubled in size and wing feathers are developing rapidly. These chicks are roughly 1 1/2 weeks old . The 4th chick has hardly grown with almost no wing development . I “think” she’s a cream legbar, but not sure. (I got a Whiting True Blue, rose comb leghorn, Ameraucana and a cream legbar, according to the signage). Here’s the question: should I be concerned she’s not grown or feathered out like the others? Her poop is fine, she’s eating & drinking well & running around with the bigger girls just fine. Pictures attached. In the picture with 2 chicks circled for comparison, they were both from the same batch. The other picture of the 3 chicks are all from the same batch, so I assumed they would be similar in size. She looks slightly larger than the new chicks I got this week at just a few days old. Thoughts?
Could make it or could not. Mine was tiny while her sisters were huge. We made sure she was eating but she was just so tiny. Now their all adults all big and she's still tiny. She grew but she's still tiny. Full of life, eating and drinking fine just small. Remember every animal is different.

As long as chick doesn’t peep a lot I certainly would give it a try.

Keep the tiny chick warm.
Give some water with electrolytes (search for diy recipes) - hold a drop at the beak. Give wet chick feed.
Maybe she will catch up or maybe she has some bantam genes and stays small her entire life.
She’s getting electrolytes and plenty of warmth. I’ll try the wet feed tomorrow. I’m not super worried about her (I’ve had a lot of chicks over the years) just never seen one not grow like a weed. Thanks for the advice!

Could make it or could not. Mine was tiny while her sisters were huge. We made sure she was eating but she was just so tiny. Now they’re all adults all big and she's still tiny. She grew but she's still tiny. Full of life, eating and drinking fine just small. Remember every animal is different.
I have a sneaking suspicion we might have a “mini” on our hands! As long as she’s healthy, all’s well. Thanks for your response!

One of my birds Thyme was the last to feather out and the smallest for a while there. Today she's a beautiful blue hen who lays large green eggs and is the head hen of the flock. Some birds are just late bloomers
Thanks for the feedback! I’m pretty hopeful this “tiny” is going to make it. She’s active as heck, so it’s just a wait & see!

Back
Top Bottom