Chick help!

vwtunner03

Hatching
Mar 22, 2018
We noticed this as soon as we got our chicks, she has been isolated since as the the other chicks try to peck at it. Advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5E5F11D8-3454-40FA-85C6-B37DD7E5D0CE.jpeg
    5E5F11D8-3454-40FA-85C6-B37DD7E5D0CE.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 16
It appears to be a pecking injury, but it's hard to see from the image size you selected. If you could please repost the same photo, but this time select the one on the right that says "full size", we could then see a large closeup.

A10157B6-3CD9-4921-8469-DAA73B006D32.jpeg
It appears to be a pecking injury, but it's hard to see from the image size you selected. If you could please repost the same photo, but this time select the one on the right that says "full size", we could then see a large closeup.
Hope this image is a little better, thank you!

Much better! It shows more of the detail I had a question about. It appears this toe was severely injured, maybe a hair was wrapped around the tip at some point, enough where it cut off circulation.

It appears to be healing. However, the chick may lose the toe. Chickens wall off damaged tissue on an extremity, cutting off blood supply, thereby sacrificing it to protect their bodies. You might be able to save it by soaking the foot a couple times a day in Epsom salt.

Much better! It shows more of the detail I had a question about. It appears this toe was severely injured, maybe a hair was wrapped around the tip at some point, enough where it cut off circulation.

It appears to be healing. However, the chick may lose the toe. Chickens wall off damaged tissue on an extremity, cutting off blood supply, thereby sacrificing it to protect their bodies. You might be able to save it by soaking the foot a couple times a day in Epsom salt.

Thank you very much for all your knowledge, we did soak it lasntight. I will shoot to do it a few times a day now.

Back
Top Bottom