Chick hurt what should I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loudawg11, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Loudawg11

Loudawg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    Andover MA
    My Coop
    I came down this afternoon to let the chicks out for the day and was unfortunate to find that one of my chicks had finally been injured in one of the pecking order brawls. I am still new to chicken owning so I'm not sure what to do. I have some pictures of the injury below for your assessment. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!​

Attached Files:

biophiliac likes this.
  2. CrazyHenLady386

CrazyHenLady386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2016
    Nova Scotia Canada!
    getting pecked by their siblings is natural. I've seen this injury several times with my own chicks. If it helps, just take a wet paper towel and clean it a little, she/he should be fine!:)

Loudawg11 and biophiliac like this.
  3. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Ouch! Is that the only injury? Are you sure it was caused by another chicken? Could the beak have been caught on something and scraped when pulling out? It doesn't seem too bad to me but wait for advice from someone who knows more. :D
    and ...:welcome

Loudawg11 likes this.
  4. Chicken Wisperer

Chicken Wisperer Just Hatched

May 24, 2017
    Mt. Hood Oregon
    That doesn't appear to be that bad of an injury. Treat her just like a human, since it is not life threatning , watch it for infection, clean it regularly. They do sell a blam if you like to get one for chickens injuries. I don't use it myself, just soap and water is good to keep infection away.

biophiliac and Loudawg11 like this.
  5. Chickassan

Chickassan Overrun With Chickens

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    That is just a boo boo it will heal in no time, don't worry.

Loudawg11 likes this.
  6. Elyrian1

Elyrian1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Normally I wouldn't comment on chicken health, but I've seen this kind of thing multiple times and never had any issues. In my birds I noticed it because they were trying to stick their heads through the wire, which didn't work of course, silly birds... or because of the queen bee establishing her dominance. I didn't clean it if it had already scabbed, I left it be instead. No problems thus far, but I'll second the advice to keep an eye on it. Any weird colors or pus shows up and then its time to pull out the chicken medical kit. (Yes... I have one of those...)

Loudawg11 likes this.
  7. eneick17

eneick17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    Leave it be, it wont hurt it anymore than as a reminder not to do whatever it did.

Loudawg11 likes this.
  8. Loudawg11

Loudawg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    Andover MA
    My Coop
    Ok thanks! I will monitor it over the next few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by