chick in distress

duckieinalaska

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
I was moving my Barnevelder chick (hatched late April) from her smaller enclosure to her permanent home yesterday. Her breast area appears larger than normal and soft/watery feeling. I've never raised this breed before so I wasn't sure how normal/abnormal this is but she is not eating today or playing/interacting with the other chicks. Can anyone help please? Thank you!

Is it her crop you're feeling? On her right side where her neck and breast meet. Check her in the morning before she has a chance to eat to see if it's normal. What is her poop like? Posting pictures of her and her poop will help others to see what you're looking at and give more details for a diagnosis. What are you feeding? Treats? Does she drink? Have any of the others had any symptoms? You can temporarily separate her to monitor her condition. Someplace they can all see each other is good, less stress when she returns to the flock.

No. If you can picture a full grown turkey.....my chick looks like that. Her front (entire breast area) is large and bloated looking. Completely different from any of the other chicks. When looking at her from the side as she walks, she looks like she is very top heavy. That area does not feel really soft (more firm/normal feeling) this evening. She is drinking water but doesn't appear to be eating. She stays away from the other chicks for the most part although they are not bothering her in any way. Her diet has been organic chick starter feed with occasional fresh corn on the cob, greens, & raspberries on occasion. Not every day. None of the other chicks are exhibiting any problems at all. I took pictures and will post as soon as I can figure it out. :) Thank you for taking the time to address my concerns.

This is my little Barnevelder with the problem.

Attachments

• chicken.JPG
    chicken.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom