Chick injured leg

She is doing much better today but know we have a Blue Laced Red Cochin Bantam at work that is doing very poorly at work that when i put the hobbles on he falls on his face, so kept them off because of a chance of drowning. This one has a small strip of vet wrap around each leg were a co worker had used a rubber band to do make the hobbles out of. He can get around enough to get to food and water but he has no interest in eating. Tryed making a mash and he wasnt interested. He is getting the same thing as my chick. Im pretty sure he came out of the shell that way.

She is doing much better today but know we have a Blue Laced Red Cochin Bantam at work that is doing very poorly at work that when i put the hobbles on he falls on his face, so kept them off because of a chance of drowning. This one has a small strip of vet wrap around each leg were a co worker had used a rubber band to do make the hobbles out of. He can get around enough to get to food and water but he has no interest in eating. Tryed making a mash and he wasnt interested. He is getting the same thing as my chick. Im pretty sure he came out of the shell that way.
I'm glad to here your little one is doing better
smile.png

It's sad to see them when they struggle. It sounds like the one you have at work may not be doing as well. If it won't drink or eat, there's not much you can do but try to give comfort. Unfortunately some chicks that hatch with problems may have something else going on internally and just fail to thrive after a few days.

I'm glad to here your little one is doing better:)

It's sad to see them when they struggle.  It sounds like the one you have at work may not be doing as well. If it won't drink or eat, there's not much you can do but try to give comfort.  Unfortunately some chicks that hatch with problems may have something else going on internally and just fail to thrive after a few days.

The little banty chick at work died today but there are know others that are being lethargic in that group so we are know treating for coccidiosis just in case. The little banty chick apparently had a bowel movement the other day that was full of worms. Is it possible for chicks to develop worms in the shell that was transmited from mom to them before she lays the egg?

The little banty chick at work died today but there are know others that are being lethargic in that group so we are know treating for coccidiosis just in case. The little banty chick apparently had a bowel movement the other day that was full of worms. Is it possible for chicks to develop worms in the shell that was transmited from mom to them before she lays the egg?
I'm sorry the little died.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
Any photos of those sweet babies and how you are keeping them?

If the others are lethargic try to keep them hydrated. What is the temperature in the brooder?

I'm sorry the little died.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
Any photos of those sweet babies and how you are keeping them?

If the others are lethargic try to keep them hydrated.  What is the temperature in the brooder?

We have them on shavings with a heat lamp on one side of the metal tanks and food and water on the otherside out of the heat. The tanks are cleaned daily and stripped of their beding and their water bowel and food trays cleaned in soapy water. I don't have any pictures.

Back
Top Bottom