Chick injury/separation and reintegration

The whole enclosure is 16’ x 16’. The coop part of it is 4’ x 16’ and the run part is 12’ x 16’.
Nice sized run, looks secure too.
4' coop width might be tight.
Does it have anti dig aprons?
Is the roof slanted for rain runoff?

Aiken, South Carolina
You could probably remove most the coop wall inside the run.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!

Ehhh, maybe.... bluekote might keep the pecking down, but I've seen it also attract peckers.

If they are crowded move them to the coop, more space is always better.
Do you have other chickens, or are these chicks the only ones?
Wish I saw this before I sprayed a hen an hour ago. She's been being picked on and now its bare and red again so I sprayed this Bluekote stuff people recommended and they immediately went after her. I feel awful! I wonder if there is a smell they hate and maybe when they get close they'll leave her back alone?

Thank you so much!

We do have the apron. The roof does have a slant. I hope to catch rain water for my garden. The hubby is looking at doing something to remove part of the upper wall, the bottomish will be where the nesting box is attached.

All of the articles that have been suggested are so helpful. Wish we had all this before we built. We designed based of a few friends we have around here and we over built ours. Thought we did a good job until now:(

Thank y’all for the help. I had been taking the girls out for day trips to the run already and today before I left for work we took them out for the day. This was right at sunrise. Of course then as I’m making my hour long commute I see clouds (not supposed to rain until tomorrow,) I hurriedly check the weather and there is potential for a thunderstorm later this afternoon before I can get home. I’m already as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Y’all pray for me, I’m about to make my husband buy a webcam to put on the house so I can watch the chickens during the day!

Back
Top Bottom