Chick integration

He says they flew back down and went back over to the other chickens. 25 of them so I suppose while doing some this happened more ofnthem than him. He says it was indeed dark out there. It is 10:44 p.m.
That's a lot of chicks to wrangle.
Eventually they'll figure it out.

They'll get bolder as they get adjusted over the next week or two. :)
Sunday, almost noon, and they are a bit more spread out. Still not in the area of their roosts. I have bamboo. I think I want to get them 2 x 4's. I saw 5' for about $35.00 on eBay yesterday. Yikes, i'd need two or three; seems awfully 'spensive. Oh well. My babies need 'em. I may be able to get away with two as one or two of the bamboo is fine. One we harvested seems a lil slim.

I am glad brahmas grow slowly. My plan is to build them a coop of their own. They will definitely need 2 x4's for roosting.

Oh, I added a pallet to the coop yesterday. Now for a mirror and xylophone.

Sunday, almost noon, and they are a bit more spread out. Still not in the area of their roosts. I have bamboo. I think I want to get them 2 x 4's. I saw 5' for about $35.00 on eBay yesterday. Yikes, i'd need two or three; seems awfully 'spensive. Oh well. My babies need 'em. I may be able to get away with two as one or two of the bamboo is fine. One we harvested seems a lil slim.

I am glad brahmas grow slowly. My plan is to build them a coop of their own. They will definitely need 2 x4's for roosting.

Oh, I added a pallet to the coop yesterday. Now for a mirror and xylophone.

Bamboo might be too slippery to make good roosts.

All mind are natural branches because scrub oak and pine saplings are weeds on this property. Pity I can't teleport a couple your way. :D

Bamboo might be too slippery to make good roosts.

All mind are natural branches because scrub oak and pine saplings are weeds on this property. Pity I can't teleport a couple your way. :D
Ohh, thank you for the thought though. Made me smile. With all the woods surrounding us you'd think I could find natural branches. Well, it's mostly Georgia pine. The branches that have fallen seem kinda slim to me. Actually saw the whole bamboo thing somewhere on YT I believe. There is a forest of bamboo behind my job so we got 'em.

Was gonna do another thread, but actually what I was just thinking fits in this area.

Yaw'll know we have more chicks coming :duc in October. Well, last night I asked to make a switch from a dark brahma pullet (already have 5 from the last hatchery mistake) to . . . drum roll . . . Green Queen pullet. So, joining the Bubble Bunch (my flock) will be:

Light Brahma Female 1
Speckled Sussex Female 1
Bantam Black Frizzle Cochin Male 1
Green Queen Female 1
Cream Legbar Female 2

Ohh, thank you for the thought though. Made me smile. With all the woods surrounding us you'd think I could find natural branches. Well, it's mostly Georgia pine. The branches that have fallen seem kinda slim to me. Actually saw the whole bamboo thing somewhere on YT I believe. There is a forest of bamboo behind my job so we got 'em.

Mine aren't pine branches, they're the trunks of saplings.

Between the size of my wrist and the size of my DH's wrist. *hunts for a ruler*

2-3 inches diameter, I suppose.

One thing with round roosts -- I've noticed that people talk about cleaning poop off their roosts and I'm there thinking "What poop? I never have poop on my roosts unless the chicks are playing up there."

Hi. That price was on eBay. We live in the "kun"try, small town with nothing almost. Not even a bowling alley, theatre or dry cleaners let alone a home improvement store. You had me laughing for a moment.
eBay, CL...much the same <shrugs>
I have to drive 30 miles to get to one of those stores.
Would rather spend the gas money than pay $35 for 5 feet of 2x4.

Back
Top Bottom