Chick integration

Higg275

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
Hi! This weekend I plan to integrate NINE 6-week old chicks into a coop/pen situation with TWO existing 11-week old pullets. One older pullet (blue-laced wyandotte) is super docile. The other older pullet (cinnamon queen) is about average in temperament (smart and curious, but not aggressive.) Since they are all still "chicks," and since the young ones far outnumber the older ones, can I put them in together right away? I am really hoping to avoid having to separate them at night, as I only have one predator proof coop outside. Please let me know what your experience has been. Thank you!

x2, be ready to intervene and have a plan to do so. 11 week olds are old enough to have enough of a pecking order that they may not take as well to newcomers as younger pullets would.

Just as with most integration, cluttering up the run and having multiple food sources spread around would help diffuse any tensions.

Hi! This weekend I plan to integrate NINE 6-week old chicks into a coop/pen situation with TWO existing 11-week old pullets. One older pullet (blue-laced wyandotte) is super docile. The other older pullet (cinnamon queen) is about average in temperament (smart and curious, but not aggressive.) Since they are all still "chicks," and since the young ones far outnumber the older ones, can I put them in together right away? I am really hoping to avoid having to separate them at night, as I only have one predator proof coop outside. Please let me know what your experience has been. Thank you!
How about this: Do you have a dog kennel or bird cage or something in which you can place the two older pullets at night, inside the coop - and let the youngsters have the roosts temporarily? Place a wood post or something inside the cage so they have a roost, too.
I haven't successfully integrated any two groups of chicks at any age without an integration period of several days. You might have better luck, but it will take close supervision.

How big, in feet or meters, is that coop? How big is the pen? Photos to show how they go together could really help. It's easier to me to give specific answers or suggestions if I know what you are working with.

Sometimes you can just turn them loose together and life is good. Sometimes it is a disaster. To me the most important variables are the personalities of the individual chickens and how much room they have. The older ones may be docile with you but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to integration, sometimes the mild ones ae the worst, sometimes they are no problem. There is only one way to find out.

I have an 8' x 12' main coop with hiding places and over 3,000 square feet outside. What I typically see is that if the younger ones invade the private space of the older ones they might get pecked. It usually doesn't take long for them to learn to stay out of the older ones' private space, even if it is the older ones walking toward them. With your pen you probably don't have that kind of room. I practically never have a hen that actively seeks the younger omens out to destroy them. Some people have had hens like that. When they mature the younger ones are accepted into the flock. Until then they remain two separate sub-flocks.

It does not always go like this. Sometimes they peacefully mingle a lot more than this sounds like. You never know how it will go until you try. I try to avoid forcing them into tight quarters any more than necessary but try to let them work this stuff out at their own pace. Good Luck!

How about this: Do you have a dog kennel or bird cage or something in which you can place the two older pullets at night, inside the coop - and let the youngsters have the roosts temporarily? Place a wood post or something inside the cage so they have a roost, too.
I haven't successfully integrated any two groups of chicks at any age without an integration period of several days. You might have better luck, but it will take close supervision.
We've had 2 chicks (5.5 weeks that day) and mamma in the coop and run since Friday, when it was finally ready for them. We have another fam of 5 chicks (3 weeks today) and mamma that have been in a cage about 1' away from the run, for the last 4 days. There has been no trouble and very little to no interest in each other. At some point we need to integrate them But we will not be keeping the mother hens (sibling bantam silkies) as they were loaned to us to sit on eggs. My only concern is that one day, when the first clutch was almost 4 weeks old and the other almost 1 week, we had the them in sight of each other. 2nd clutch hen out of the box/brooder, with chicks still in box and 1st clutch in the cage. Mamma 2 was squawking at the other clutch and went up to the cage, somewhat aggressively. They had no problems in their flock together...but now they have babies. I want to integrate soon but don't want the hens going after each other. Ideas?

The friend who loaned us the hens and gave us the eggs was thinking the hens would be with the chicks for about 2-3 months.

Back
Top Bottom