Chick is alive but not hatching.

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
I desperately need some advice. I incubated 6 Coturnix quail eggs. 5 hatched but the last one is alive but not hatching. It is day 22, and i Made a breathing hole. He is not yawning but he is breathing and was peeping when I whistled, but know he won’t peep. Is there a change that he will hatch or will he give up or die. Will he have a chance if I open him up more or should I just leave him. My temperature was low for the first week but accurate the rest of the time. My humidity is 66%. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Begin by chipping away the shell from the original hole. Slowly peel back membrane and have corn starch on hand for any bleeding.

I removed the top of the egg where the air sac is. He is still just laying there and not attempting to get out. Should I continue removing the shell and should I remove the inner membrane as well.

Very ssssllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwwlllllllllyyyyy pull the membrane back in case there is bleeding. It's normal for a tiny bit of blood, just have corn starch ready.

Is there still to much blood vessels to open the inner membrane should I wait with the inner membrane?

Attachments

• 892E3EF2-554D-4273-9E41-92BD9CE5C9F3.jpeg
    892E3EF2-554D-4273-9E41-92BD9CE5C9F3.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 36
Oh wow there are. Don't help yet. Give him at least 12 hours. Is he still alive? Is his beak out so he can breath?

See if they'll recede and empty a little bit more before helping, but it's so late..................he must be a slow developer. If hes getting weaker then try to assist but stop if you see blood and wait 3-4 hours.

Yes he is still alive and breathing. I will try to help him tomorrow. Thank you very much for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom