Chick just hatched, now what? <Picture Added>

Quote:
How Fun! I remember my first bator hatch, it was so exciting, and like you I was amazed that it worked. I was using a LG still air and hand turning--had the "well, these things don't always work out speech ready for the kids, but never needed to use it. Pictures would be great when you get a chance, can never have too many fuzzy butt pictures!

I just hatched 7 but sadly one died one day after he hatched.. SAD FACE!
but 6 of these babies are great.. and doing just fine.. I even have one i named tiny tim
he is so small but hes doing great..

What i did was left them in the bator for 24 hours to dry out and then put them in the brooder.
and you dont need a HEAT LAMP as a brooder.. i have a grow light that works just fine and get the
brooder about 99-105 but they run away from the heat if they get too hot.. they are wonderful..
the smell of the rotted eggs in the bator was a little much to bear in the house but.. that comes with it
its hard, hard hard to candle brown eggs. 2 brown eggs hatched and 4 whites.. they sit under my desk in a tote.
with a chicken wire top on them.. i watch them all day and they are great and make me laugh sometimes..
you will enjoy this..

The incubator window is still fogged up but here are the 1st three that I took out of the incubator. There are still 5 left in there.

63496_100_0541.jpg

We just had our first chick hatch!!!!! We were totally caught off guard, as our timing was off somehow. One more is pipping, so off we go!!!!

Help please. Had hens brooding now for a couple of weeks. Two days ago three hens decided to congregate in one box. This morning I lifted one hens bum to see if there are any new eggs (I marked the ones I've allowed them to sit on) and found a chick. What should I do? Three hens sitting in one small nesting box with chick(s) under them surely is a danger to the chick, or should I just leave well alone. They are in an "open" pen so there is free movement if they want.

Desperate for help here because we are going on holiday on Saturday and friends will be looking after it all.

Hi,
I usually leave them in the incubator to fluff up and put a very shallow pot of water so that it can't drown in there and food and once they have fluffed up I take them into a brooder.

Does a hen need to go into a brooder with the chicks, and is it essential to have a light? I live on Cyprus and daytime temperature at the moment is low 30 c and night is dropping to around 17c.

Thanks for your help.

I just saw this. I don't have a lot of experience with this. I would take her out and put in a brooder. Hens can be mean to newbies.

Back
Top Bottom