Chick Just Hatched- Umbilical Cord or Prolapsed Vent?

Blackfanglucky13

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2019
My second quail just hatched from an egg on day 17 of incubation at 37.5 degrees C and 75 percent humidity. The incubation was dry and the first chick hatched last night and is in the brooder. The quail hatched at 10:30 pm on 9 16 2020 and inside of the egg shell there was some blood and a little bit of grey stuff inside the egg. When my other chick hatched the egg was dried out.

I am not sure if the chick has a prolapsed vent or if part of the umbilical cord is still attached. There was less than a half hour between the piping and coming fully out of the shell. She seemed stuck and the membrane was around everything but he face and then she just popped out. Right now (s)he is fluffing up inside the incubator. She dint move for the first 15 minutes but then started crawling and then walking around the incubator like my other one did last night. The area is small and pink and I do not see any bleeding. I intend to take the chick to the vet in the morning. These are going to be pets so I'd rather not cull if I can help it. Is there anything I should do? Will the chick survive the night or do I need to do something now? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4679[1].JPG
    IMG_4679[1].JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 183
Thanks, I know it didn't look like the prolapses I looked up online so I'm relieved its not a life threating thing. Its my first time hatching birds on my own so I've been really nervous.

Back
Top Bottom