CHICK LOOKING UNUSUALLY LETHARGIC HELP!!!

:D chicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
my chicken indiana is all of the sudden looking sleepy and lethargic and i dont know why! all she had earlier were some grapes maybe 3 at the most but more likely 1 or 2 i dunno i fed it to them but i cant exactly remember! she keeps jutting her head forward oddly and she is extremely tired every time she is still her eyes close and she looks sleepy and all the other chickens are away from her... i dont know what to do she looked fine not 3 or 4 hours ago! i have know idea what is wrong the only recent changes to our schedule were the snack of some grapes which i fed her last week and she was fine and the fact that we have june berries (strawberries and blueberries) that they kept eating b4 they were ripe so they havent been able to run in the yard for the past two days! HELP ME PLEASE EVERYONE IS BLAMING ME JUST BECAUSE I WAS THE LAST ONE TO C THEM!!!
hit.gif
sad.png
hu.gif
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif
idunno.gif
ep.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif

how old is she? did you chop up the grapes if she is young? she may just be tired, young chicks fall asleep while standing a lot. I wouldn't feed her any other treats other than boiled egg until a few weeks old.

she is about 3 or 4 months not laying and usually pretty peppy they were whole grapes but i dropped them on the ground and the chix all broke them up by themselves just fine... they seemed okay...

I hope someone has some help for you. I am having troubles today also. If you go to the sticky at the top of the emergencies index, there are some questions to answer that could be helpful for someone who might be able to help you. Good Luck!!

edited to correct strange use of the English language

Last edited:
Being 3-4 mos. old the grapes should not of bothered her, there must be something else going on. You probably should separate her from the others then fill out the form to get more specific answers. Also check the poop and the breathing, is she fluffing out?

Here is some exact info

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Barred Rock, ~4months old, about 3 pounds (i havent weighed her just guessing here!)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Jutting out neck, droopy eyes, looks tired and unhappy

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

nope just sleepiness

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

the obvious answer would be the grapes but how? she ate them just fine and they r a safe treat!

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Not eating since a few hours ago and not drinking either

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

havent seen her poop yet

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

No treatment just giving her space

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

No vet unless u think its serious but i think she might be okay im just not sure

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No pics its just odd behaviour no wounds no trauma no injury as far as i can tell

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Pine shavings in the coop and wooden perches made out of regular old wood and also for the rafter beams of the coop which they sleep on as perches (why they dont use the actual perches i dont know...)

only one bird affected all the others are perfectly normal

How does her vent look? Could she be ready to lay and be bound? You know, I'm in WA too and am dealing with the same thing- lethargic bird, rest okay. Seems strange. Hope she is better today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom