Chick might be dying

Only you know your hen well enough to make the decision when to end it for her. My criteria for euthansia is what I mentioned earlier. When a chicken can no longer wake up, stand up, feed and drink, it's time to end it.

When a chicken is sick, they will never just stay the same. They will either get better or they will get worse. If the chicken is getting better, though far from being well and normal, there is noticeable progress.

On the other hand, if the chicken stays the same well past the point of time dictating she should be starting to get better, or if she is steadily declining, then I make the call to end it.

:hugs This is the most difficult thing about keeping chickens. Most of us have faced this decision and we all dread it. Making the decision is the hardest part. Doing the deed is very hard, too. But we all experience a sense of relief that the suffering is over. We still need to grieve, but each day, it hurts a bit less.

I just couldn't find the willpower to put him to sleep. I kept him near me until he passed. He passed away yesterday. Its weird tho ,he passed away and suddenly I'm sick . Are chicken diseases contagious?

Bacterial infections may be, especially salmonell and E.coli. If you are experiencing diarrhea, it would be a good idea to have your stool sample sent to a lab. Call your doctor.

I don't have diarrhea,just a fever and fatigue. Does anyone have an idea why it might have died?

Back
Top Bottom