Chick moving day!! ...Integration time?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
My chicks just turned 6 weeks old, so I'd like to move them outside permanently. Lows have been in the 50s, and they've been spending all day outdoors the past few days. We have 2 full grown hens.

I have a few options for sleeping arrangements:

1. Add a secure door to our igloo dog house for a completely separate sleeping space until they are closer in size to the two adult hens. Everyone could free range during the day together.

2. Put them inside the secure run inside a wire dog crate so they can start sleeping with Amelia and Bedelia, but be safe from pecks at night.

3. Put them in the run with the crate or other hiding spot available to them (door wired so the big hens can't follow), but they are loose in there with Amelia and Bedelia.

4. Something else I haven't considered? Open to other ideas.

There hasn't been any crazy aggression during free-range time. The big hens will peck the littles if they don't scurry out of their way, but no chasing them down or vicious pecking has happened. But inside the run might be different? Thoughts? Ideally I'd like to have them integrated ASAP so I'm only dealing with one enclosure and flock.

Last edited:
I like option 3 (where the chicks have a safe place that the hens cannot reach, but the chicks can also come out and mingle with the hens whenever they wish.)

An option you did not list: put the mature hens in a crate at night, so the little ones can roost and become familiar with the space. I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea or not, just mentioning it because I didn't see it on your list of possibilities.

I like option 3 (where the chicks have a safe place that the hens cannot reach, but the chicks can also come out and mingle with the hens whenever they wish.)

An option you did not list: put the mature hens in a crate at night, so the little ones can roost and become familiar with the space. I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea or not, just mentioning it because I didn't see it on your list of possibilities.
Interesting additional thought! I think I have read about people crating a "bully" to help with integration. So similar to that I guess. 🤔

Right.

I knew someone else woulda said it better.

Also, the older two can't be expected not to pick on the smaller ones unless they are big enough to defend themselves. Although, my flock of chickens don't pay any attention at all to the covey of male quail that live with them in their coop and share their run.

I like the idea presented about crating the older two until the younger group are closer to pol and in size.

Back
Top Bottom