Chick Necropsy, Suspected Mareks disease? Graphic

I have a few questions about this disease. If this is Mareks should I just go ahead and continue and let survival of the fittest happen to create healthier more disease resistant birds? I have two who are not walking well, one is now shuffling around the house, the other will now stand up move around a bit, flap wings then fall back on it's side. But these two do not seem to have the eye issues, or other internal issues. They are breathing regularly, eating well, just not so well coordinated. I am wondering if they are having a more mild case of the same thing. These two are also the only two to get sick in there breeds or lines.

My questions are, is there any chance of recovery if it is Mareks, does anyone think they will regain the ability to walk or should I just cull now.

Should I treat the ground or soil with anything. If the ones who survived actually are carrying it what should I do? Or should I just vaccinate future chicks. But considering it has hereditary resistance, should their off spring have a natural immunity to it.

If anyone knows please let me know.

Hi teenchik,

I'll step in just in case nobody with better experience does... My understanding from various chicken chat groups and old breeders is that the disease will always kill any birds that are symptomatic (though it may be a long slow decline). This is because the birds that are showing symptoms already have the tumours. You would probably not want to keep sick birds alive unless you're sure they're in no pain.

For disease control with Marek's there's not a great deal of point in culling -- for distress control, yes. Disinfecting doesn't really work with Marek's as the virus is shed on dander and fluff that can be carried a long way on the slightest breeze. It's almost impossible to avoid all your birds being exposed already, or future birds from being exposed.

The options, it seems, are to cull anything sick and only breed from the well (I've heard that the offspring of the survivors rarely succumb but about 5 years later there may be another, much milder Marek's cycle); or to begin vaccinating and never stop. Vaccinating doesn't stop the disease but stops the tumours being expressed in a majority of birds. The disease can also evolve to escape vaccine control... It's a living thing. Also there have been times in the past when the vaccine went out of supply and people lost masses of birds. Just a couple of other things to put into the decision mill.

It's going to be hard for anyone to advise what you should do — there are pluses and minuses either way. I can't imagine the horror of finding an entire flock affected, as can happen with vulnerable bird strains. I think I'd put the birds down and keep the survivors (as they must be super birds) but honestly, that's just a preference based on reading rather than experience.

However I'd never try to make a Marek's suffering bird well... I feel that would be too painful for the bird. Many people though have kept roosters in slings etc and hand-fed them... They can look quite happy if they're able to reach food, as Marek's doesn't usually stop the hunger drive. Not my cup of tea but I can understand it.

I hope you get some other input... You're probably not getting both sides with me (as I lean away from vaccines on diseases where hereditary control is possible).

best wishes
Erica

Erica,

Thank you so much for the information. I am teenchiks Momma, and thank you so much. This has been hard for all of us, and you gave us actual information. We do currently have two more that are falling over and limping, but they are other wise neurologically intact. They are not lethargic, eat and drink well.

With finding out that Long tails are more susceptible it makes since of why the Yokahama's were the first to drop off. I am hoping we are done with this.

We have decided to use the homeopathic treatment to get them over it. If that happens they will be able to pass on resistance
hu.gif

We are also giving everyone rooster booster, and have decided to not vaccinate. Hopefully they will be stronger and the chicks will not be susceptible as much in the future.

Christal

teenchick- What state are you in? A few states, like California, offer free testing at the state or university laboratories.

Have you considered Lymphoid Leukosis? It is a tumor causing disease that attacks the liver. It usually does not manifest until chicks reach 16 weeks of age.

We live in Florida and there is a charge here. If I have another one die I will be sending it off though, We started the Hypercurium and cranberry powder. My Lav Orphington has gone from legs splayed out, unable to stand, to walking forward, and stagger stepping today. She even walked up to me when I was sitting on the floor with her. Oh I am so hoping this is all over..
fl.gif

Christal

Back
Top Bottom