Chick never stops peeping!

rughooker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Deerfield,Ohio n.e. Ohio
I have a 6 week old silkie(splash). It hardly ever stops peeping. I have 3 ( 2 mo. old) white silkies that are so quiet compared to him/her. Is he/she trying to tell me something is wrong or does he/she just like to make noise? Splash has been like this since I got him/her at 2 weeks of age.

th.gif

Is she in with the other chicks or is she alone? If she's alone, she's probably lonely. I've read of people putting a stuffed animal or a small mirror in with their only "child" to comfort them.

rughooker, I'm bumping this back up for you because I really don't know what to tell you.
My general feeling is she's trying to tell you something. I just don't know what. Sorry.
sad.png

hey

the baby might be telling you that there maybe too many in the brooder, water is too warm or icky, that they are picking on it, or its too dirty from the others. mine are almost 6 mon old and in thier run they are picky same with water etc. its just an idea

The only time I had a chick like that, I found out she was blind. I do a sight-test on any that cheep constantly now. Usually the most incessant cheeping is because the food/water is out.
roll.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

The only time I had a chick like that, I found out she was blind. I do a sight-test on any that cheep constantly now. Usually the most incessant cheeping is because the food/water is out.
roll.png

How do you do a sight test? She doesn't know her abc's yet? Not funny!
lol.png
hmm.png

LOL! I use a penlight - red laser pointer - and shine it around in front of the chick on the floor. They will follow it like a cat.
smile.png
Otherwise, just pretend you're going to poke it in the eye... it should react to it. With my chick, I noticed that I could wiggle my fingers in front of its face, poke at it (without touching, of course) and nothing... she would just stand there, peeping.
sad.png

When I had one alone it peeped a lot. Since its buddies arrived I havent had a problem, except when they are hungry, thirsty, uncomfortable. Of course it could just be the babies personality, noisier than others!
smile.png

I have a couple who peep super loud whenever they discover something new... "Hey! Food!" "Hey! A bug!" "Hey! I like brown rice!" "Hey! I like you, other chick!" or, my favorite... last night's "Hey! I got out of the brooder!"

At about 3 weeks old, everything is new, and needs to be peeped about. Goofy chickens.

Back
Top Bottom