Chick won’t STOP CHIRPING!!

You are certainly doing a great job. This might sound like a big project, but have you seen pics where people cut big windows in the long sides of the totes and install hardware cloth ??? To me this looks like the best way to use a tote. There was one year that brooded in my garage which is very dark and the chicks seemed to complain more than usual. I think they don't love being down in a dark cave even though they have overhead light. Being on the floor, that overhead arial fear instinct kicks in a lot. For the first 10days my brooder is on the floor in my she shed but it is all hardware cloth frames. So when I feed them and clean up I'm at their level sitting on the floor, reaching in through a door, not over head. Then they move to my coop brooder which is up waist heigh and thats when they really dig it when I show up. I really think that getting them off the floor, maybe by a window and cutting a side door or window could help calm this one down. This excellent article by Azygous changed the way I approach brooders.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...cks-outdoors.71995/?page=7#ams-comment-513472

Last edited:
Good responses. Is this your first brood of chicks? If not, you probably know that that plastic tote will be too small for this number of chicks by age two weeks. They will be trying to escape to find more room and adventure. If the weather is bad, think about the playpen idea from @TaylorGlade in the sun room for daytime. Add a cake pan with sand or dry soil from your yard for them to satisfy the urge to scratch and roll and dirt bathe. This may reduce the noise from the demanding chick, having more room and more things to do.

Good responses. Is this your first brood of chicks? If not, you probably know that that plastic tote will be too small for this number of chicks by age two weeks. They will be trying to escape to find more room and adventure. If the weather is bad, think about the playpen idea from @TaylorGlade in the sun room for daytime. Add a cake pan with sand or dry soil from your yard for them to satisfy the urge to scratch and roll and dirt bathe. This may reduce the noise from the demanding chick, having more room and more things to do.
This is actually my main brooder setup. I have a puppy playpen I line with bed pads, throw in some fluff and a heater plate (along with food and toys). I find it makes them less flighty if I sit is on a table because they see me coming and I am not reaching overhead too high. The chicks always live it.

You are certainly doing a great job. This might sound like a big project, but have you seen pics where people cut big windows in the long sides of the totes and install hardware cloth ??? To me this looks like the best way to use a tote. There was one year that brooded in my garage which is very dark and the chicks seemed to complain more than usual. I think they don't love being down in a dark cave even though they have overhead light. Being on the floor, that overhead arial fear instinct kicks in a lot. For the first 10days my brooder is on the floor in my she shed but it is all hardware cloth frames. So when I feed them and clean up I'm at their level sitting on the floor, reaching in through a door, not over head. Then they move to my coop brooder which is up waist heigh and thats when they really dig it when I show up. I really think that getting them off the floor, maybe by a window and cutting a side door or window could help calm this one down. This excellent article by Azygous changed the way I approach brooders.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...cks-outdoors.71995/?page=7#ams-comment-513472
I’ll have to think of that- it’s not a “big” project to me, but I have them “play” in a stiff mesh laundry bag while I clean the cage each morning and they get a bit nervous looking out, so I’m not sure they will like a “window”. I do have overhead lighting that doesn’t allow for any shadows in there, but maybe as the weeks go along I will have to test out things. I don’t want to put a “draft” window in too soon before they get older.

It IS my first brood of chicks- so I might be overthinking everything 😆 but yes, I’m creating different brooders as they are.
First stage is this tote, next is a larger cardboard box with a mesh lid (think refrigerator box on its side). Last brooder will be a plywood set up when they move to the workshop in a month. They will live out there (as the temps hit 70’s outside) for a month before they are moved to the outdoor coop/digs that I’m building. I even use a night vision baby camera and a small radio that plays classical music to keep them relaxed and safe when I’m not around; It’s all about keeping the ladies in comfort and ease 😆

I’ll have to read that and look into it. I don’t plan any more babies for a long time (we can’t have more than we do and unless we lose some or one goes crazy broody, we have to limit to 4-6 chickens). But I like the higher up method (& I’m also building my coop with a floor that’s almost 3 feet off the ground for easier access and so I’m not always bending over them).

Many of the BYC members that were here ten or more years ago went through a discovery period where we learned that brooders on the floor with overhead access were terrifying to our baby chicks. I experimented with cardboard appliance boxes elevated onto tables with access cut into the sides. These side access brooders transformed our baby chicks from terrified prey to trusting and affectionate chicks. And it translated into trusting and affectionate adult chickens. Here is an old article that describes with photos some of those earlier brooders that were precursors to brooding in my run and skipping indoor brooders completely. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Many of the BYC members that were here ten or more years ago went through a discovery period where we learned that brooders on the floor with overhead access were terrifying to our baby chicks. I experimented with cardboard appliance boxes elevated onto tables with access cut into the sides. These side access brooders transformed our baby chicks from terrified prey to trusting and affectionate chicks. And it translated into trusting and affectionate adult chickens. Here is an old article that describes with photos some of those earlier brooders that were precursors to brooding in my run and skipping indoor brooders completely. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/
I’m not sure about her, but the others have no fears or worries; they were hatched by a friend and we got them the next day and have hand raised them. They come running up to see us when we walk by and fight to be the first to hop on our hands when we put ours in there. They don’t almost ever fear call and even our shadows passing on the wall over them doesn’t make them hesitate or spook. The only thing that they don’t like is the sound of the ice maker dumping ice (which startles me too).
I just don’t know if rigging something elaborate would change anything- they are all so friendly and personable and eager to hang with us (& show no fear )that I don’t worry about the overhead issues… but my “crier” is making noise when under the heat of, while eating, while scratching for food, and when she’s asleep and drinking water is the only pause she takes. The rest of the crew are so quiet and mild.

Back
Top Bottom