Chick not eating/drinking much and always shaking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have this almost week old silkie
    shes not eating and drinking much
    and shes always shaking and always has her eyes closed.
    she hasnt grown very much either

What can i do to keep her alive [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure she is warm enough. She needs a heat lamp about 85-90 degrees F, decreasing 5 degrees each week. Dip her beak in water to encourage drinking, and offer finely mashed sccrambled eggs in addition to chick starter. Make sure she doesn't have pasty butt--clean it off with warm soapy water and check daily if present. She might be a weak chick or have coccidia, but I hope she makes it.

3. Christie Loves Silkies

Thank you for the advice

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Go out and get some of that Sav A Chick. Yeah, keep her nice and warm. I'd say you could use some antibiotics maybe but I know the chick starter has some antibiotic. Don't know if its enough or even if you should give them antibiotics though. Maybe over in Incubating and Raising Baby Chicks side of the forum?

5. Christie Loves Silkies

I dont think we have the same products over here in Aus as they do in the U.S

The chick has the warmth of the mother Hen all day and all night.
    shes started to eat some egg, but its getting late at night here and im going to try in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by