Chick Not Moving Much, Wobbly, Falls.

RaisingPaynes

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
NC
I have had these chicks (Australorps) for 2 weeks now, they all seemed perfect and fine when they first arrived. Now (since Saturday) one seems to not be thriving. She is smaller than the rest, very wobbly and ends up falling on her side or back. I have taken out some of the bedding because she seems to have a hard time walking on it and I have also separated her so she doesn't get trampled over by the other chicks.

Last edited:
Does she happen to have a pasty butt? Possible cocci? Blocked or impacted crop possibly caused by shavings. Those are my first suspects... followed by sometimes birds will fail to thrive even this late. :(

I would push liquids by dropping just below nostrils and when it roll around into the beak they should naturally gobble and swallow. I would add vitamins like poultry nutri drench and maybe even some electrolytes...

Pending the question... what have you been feeding including treats and supplements? How many birds in how much space? Any grit available? What does her stool look like?

:fl

Does she happen to have a pasty butt? Possible cocci? Blocked or impacted crop possibly caused by shavings. Those are my first suspects... followed by sometimes birds will fail to thrive even this late. :(

I would push liquids by dropping just below nostrils and when it roll around into the beak they should naturally gobble and swallow. I would add vitamins like poultry nutri drench and maybe even some electrolytes...

Pending the question... what have you been feeding including treats and supplements? How many birds in how much space? Any grit available? What does her stool look like?

:fl
I treated her for pasty butt when we got her. She still seemed okay, we have a thin layer of pine shavings as bedding. I have seen her eat and drink, swallow just fine. As for food, i have been feeding my chicks duMor 20% started/ feed. I have also added acv to their water today to see if it would help. I haven't added treats to their diet yet, though. Her stool seems normal as well. Thank you, Btw!

So, I have a little Bielefelder in the exact same situation. He eats, drinks, and even gets in on a little "baby cake" treat for chicks. But, after two weeks, everyone else is starting to feather out nicely (wings, tails, shoulders) except for him. It's like he just stopped growing at a week old. I would love to know the outcome of the little Australorp and any other advice.

Back
Top Bottom