chick not thriving

glassdragonfly

Crowing
Sep 3, 2019
Ozark,mo
Hi all! First thank you to everyone for posting here. I have been lurking here a long time and always found what I needed. But now I have a problem chick and need some help.
My stepson had some chicks hatch under a hen,two had crooked toes so he brought them to me. I took care of that and they seemed fine.Eating well and drinking.When they started to get new feathers I noticed that they didn't look right. I gave them scrambled eggs for extra protein. Didn't help but they were growing fine and eating well.For the last few months they seemed to be getting on well but never quite right. So I babied them along. One died last week at around 4 months old. The other is a little hen and seems to be going the same way. She is a banty mix about 4 months old. Right now she is separated,but is drinking alot of water,3 times as much as an injured chick I have. Eating but not like the other. She is getting non medicated chick starter and scrambled eggs.She will eat noodles and rice,but never very much of anything. Her poop is varied,in the morning the cage is full of runny poop with some normal on top,but her bedding is soaked! I have been giving her electrolytes for dehydration,keeping her cage very clean and fresh water/electrolytes.Food bowl cleaned every day,fresh food in a separate bowl.Another thing is this chick and the one that died never dust bathe. I can't take her to a vet,so I'm on my own with this.Hoping for a idea.Maybe vitamins or antibiotics or worming.She's got energy but I don't know whats wrong.Try to upload a photo of her,I've never seen a chick like this. I would be very grateful for any ideas or help. Thanks, Katie
DSC00633.JPG
DSC00632.JPG

Welcome to BYC.
I recommend that you get her started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make it fresh daily. For one chick, you can cut the mixture in half. Do not add anything else to the mixture such as vitamins, electrolytes etc...Also provide her the non medicated feed only to eat.

Corid specifically treats coccidiosis, not worms. If you wish, collect a fresh fecal sample and put it in a zip lock bag and take it to any vet. They'll look at the sample under a microscope and let you know if there are any worm eggs as well as cocci. If the slide is loaded with cocci, then there's a problem and the chick needs to be treated with Corid.
It shouldnt cost much for a sample to be tested.
If there are worms eggs present on the slide, they'll let you know what kind. Wazine treats large roundworms only. Chickens can get many other types of worms, then a broad spectrum wormer such as Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer will take care of them.

Thanks,I thought cocci killed faster with blood in their poop.Not seen any with the other one or this one.This chick has looked like this for a long time.But I'm going to check into it.I have safeguard as well.Farm supply should have corid.I have her in a cage next to Mercury,My injured chick for company,I think I'll move them further apart! Just in case.I had a few chicks with cocci a few years back.

Thanks,I thought cocci killed faster with blood in their poop.Not seen any with the other one or this one.This chick has looked like this for a long time.But I'm going to check into it.I have safeguard as well.Farm supply should have corid.I have her in a cage next to Mercury,My injured chick for company,I think I'll move them further apart! Just in case.I had a few chicks with cocci a few years back.
You might already know this, there are 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. Only 2 types can cause blood in feces and you're right, they kill quickly.
Once you're done with a round of corid, go ahead and worm her with the safeguard.

Update,saw worms in her cage,so I gave her wazine this morn.Pooping worms now but not eating so good this morn.I will take her outside today and see if the perks her up(shes in the garage,chicken house is to hot)watching her close.

Update and question. The little hen seems to be perkier,not sitting all scrunched up,more interested. Eating but not like I like. Drinking but not over drinking. Poop it getting more normal,not as wet. Now do I give her corid,safeguard or just see how she does?
DSC00638.JPG
Guess I should give her a name,just been calling her Baby.

Back
Top Bottom