Chick not using foot

secretevo

Songster
Apr 4, 2014
Ninveh, IN
I have a week old Columbian rock pullet that's been lame on her Right foot since I got her 5 days ago. I've noticed swelling increase in that foot the past 24 hrs. I have clindmycin and metronidazole, and tylan injectable to use if needed. What do you all think. She is non weight bearing on it and often stands holding it up. Lays doen alot. I have cleaned it several times to check for any wounds or wholes and found nothing. No blackness noted after I clean it.
IMG_20180403_093702791.jpg
IMG_20180403_093714676.jpg

The black spots on the bottoms of her feet wash away and her feet are actually a pristine yellow? In other words, did you post these photos before you scrubbed her feet clean?

The black spots on the bottoms of her feet wash away and her feet are actually a pristine yellow? In other words, did you post these photos before you scrubbed her feet clean?
Yes this photo was taken prior to the many times her feet have been cleaned. I can take a picture of clean feet if you'd like. I'll go get one.

Last edited:
Do you have any B vitamins? B-complex can help with leg and foot problems. If it's a pill, dissolve it in a tiny bit of water, then wet a half teaspoon of crumbles and feed it to the chick in lieu of plain crumbles until it eats it all.

If you can get some Poultry Nutri-drench, that would be a good supplement for this chick. No guarantees, but this would be someplace to start.

I put two drops of Nutir-drench on the palm of my hand and then dip the chick's beak in the puddle. That gets it swallowing. Keep doing this until there's just a smear left on your palm. Do this once a day. If it's a vitamin deficiency causing the lameness, you should see rapid improvement.

I can get B complex from work tomorrow. It's injectable version, do you know the dose? I do have nutri drench I started that yesterday.

Do you have any B vitamins? B-complex can help with leg and foot problems. If it's a pill, dissolve it in a tiny bit of water, then wet a half teaspoon of crumbles and feed it to the chick in lieu of plain crumbles until it eats it all.

If you can get some Poultry Nutri-drench, that would be a good supplement for this chick. No guarantees, but this would be someplace to start.

I put two drops of Nutir-drench on the palm of my hand and then dip the chick's beak in the puddle. That gets it swallowing. Keep doing this until there's just a smear left on your palm. Do this once a day. If it's a vitamin deficiency causing the lameness, you should see rapid improvement.

Injectable B complex is fine, but instead of injecting the chick, take the needle off and dribble a few drops into the right side of its beak. Do this along with the Nutri-drench each day.

Back
Top Bottom