Chick Not Walking

CityBirb

In the Brooder
May 19, 2023
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a chick. I am unsure of the age or the breed of the bird. My kitchen scale says the chick is 24 grams. I got the bird yesterday from a local farm store. It was on its back in a very overcrowded dirty tub getting stepped on with a few other birds that had died. When I complained about the condition the animals were being kept in they told me I could have the bird because they couldn’t take care of it.

I wasn’t sure if it was going to survive but after getting it under a heat lamp and getting some water with some probiotics and electrolytes into the bird it perked up a bit and started chirping.

The issue is that it mostly lays down and when it does walk it isn’t quite right. It will just take a few steps and seems to struggle a bit to balance itself. It doesn’t try to run when I put my hands in the box I have it in which makes me concerned that it can’t move that well. I have looked over the bird and I don’t see any obvious injuries but I am concerned that something is wrong. I have noticed it seems to lean more on one leg. I will attach some photos to show what I mean. The down is a little weird looking because I had to wash off a bunch of matted on poop and bedding that were coating the birds back and wing. I was in the process of drying the bird off with a hair dryer and brushing the down up with a soft bristled toothbrush when I took this picture.

AF1D31E5-0B83-4000-BCBD-631DCE54E26B.jpeg

I have observed it drinking and eating out of the bowls I have in the box. It will take a few steps and then lay down and peck at the food or drink the water and just sit there. I am worried it isn’t eating enough because it seems so small. The feed I have for it is Dumor 18% chick starter/grower.

It pooped when I had it pulled out to clean the bird so I got a picture of that too. I think it is pretty watery.

3F917F46-3495-48CD-9EEC-7242A0D8D9DE.jpeg

I called around today and got a few recommendations for vets that will see chickens if needed.

Welcome To BYC

The chick may be failure to thrive, but I'd try giving her 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day to see if that helps.
I will pick some of that up tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks for the advice! I’m hoping they can pull through.

She might be a bit week because of them not taking care of her properly
I’m hoping it is just that and the poor chick improves.

How is she doing?
Thank you for checking in. The poor little chick passed away yesterday and I forgot to update the thread. I wish it was happier news. She just kept getting weaker and weaker and wouldn’t eat or drink towards the end no matter what I tried to offer. I knew it was what would likely happen just from how bad she was when we got her but I got a little hopeful when she perked up a bit when we got her home.

Thank you for checking in. The poor little chick passed away yesterday and I forgot to update the thread. I wish it was happier news. She just kept getting weaker and weaker and wouldn’t eat or drink towards the end no matter what I tried to offer. I knew it was what would likely happen just from how bad she was when we got her but I got a little hopeful when she perked up a bit when we got her home.
I'm sorry about the chick:hugs

Back
Top Bottom