Chick not wanting to stand

mistakenraigan

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
I have a chick (of a chicken) not wanting to stand up properly. He's a few days old and was walking fine up until about 12 hours ago. He kind of sits or "stands" on his knees when he is startled by the other babies moving around him, but otherwise is laying down. Not splay-legged, his joints don't seem dislocated. He does have a BB pellet sized piece of flesh protruding from where his belly button was, but it doesn't appear infected or inflamed (but could contribute to how he's acting, but it doesn't seem to bother it). The waterer has had a mix of electrolytes and poultry cell water since I learned the poultry cell could help nutrient deficient babies recover. It's on non-medicated chick starter, and brooder is in the house in bedroom with the vents covered so no drafts. Is there something we could for the little guy? Something we did wrong or could do better for him? Any advice is helpful!

I have a chick (of a chicken) not wanting to stand up properly. He's a few days old and was walking fine up until about 12 hours ago. He kind of sits or "stands" on his knees when he is startled by the other babies moving around him, but otherwise is laying down. Not splay-legged, his joints don't seem dislocated. He does have a BB pellet sized piece of flesh protruding from where his belly button was, but it doesn't appear infected or inflamed (but could contribute to how he's acting, but it doesn't seem to bother it). The waterer has had a mix of electrolytes and poultry cell water since I learned the poultry cell could help nutrient deficient babies recover. It's on non-medicated chick starter, and brooder is in the house in bedroom with the vents covered so no drafts. Is there something we could for the little guy? Something we did wrong or could do better for him? Any advice is helpful!
I should also mention the piece of flesh isn't fresh. It's clearly dried and honestly reminds me of human belly buttons and umbilical cords before they fall off, like a piece that didnt disconnect when he hatched. It doesn't appear herniated but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom