Chick opening and closing beak. Eyes closed. Can't peep only cough

Blazinga

Crowing
Sep 27, 2020
The chicks is 2.5 weeks old, has been on medicated starter and vitamin water. Nothing is running from the nostrils or eyes and stool is normal. Bird continually gasps or gags, occasionally coughing. Bird is not as active, but still moving head. She has been outside twice.

She is eating and drinking, but Is still gagging and having trouble sleeping.

How long has this been going on? When were the chick's trips "outside", and what did the chick do (maybe eat) when out? Initially, it sounds like she might have ingested something that's stuck in her throat.

More details will help put a timeline together so those with the ability to offer constructive advice here can assist you.

How long has this been going on? When were the chick's trips "outside", and what did the chick do (maybe eat) when out? Initially, it sounds like she might have ingested something that's stuck in her throat.

More details will help put a timeline together so those with the ability to offer constructive advice here can assist you.
The chick started this behavior yesterday morning. The chicks went outside this Monday and last Monday. They ran around and foraged a few insects. The bedding in the brooder is pine shavings. Watermelon was provided a few days before, but seeds were removed and no one ate it. All of the other chickens are fine.

Post #3 mentions that you already lost one group of chicks to coccidia. Are you sure that's under control in your flock??

Nothing is jumping out to me besides a blockage in her throat/crop. What does her crop feel like? Can you feel anything abnormal there, like a small stick that might be giving her discomfort? How much and what is she eating? It might be worth getting her on a more moist diet until you can identify the cause of her distress.

I wish I could be of more help... :-\

Last edited:
The vet said that she might have a deep respiratory issue. We're treating her with antifungal and antibiotics. She has an appetite.
IMG_20210709_165905120.jpg

And some friends.
IMG_20210709_171644768.jpg

Back
Top Bottom