Chick order from Ideal - shipping questions - Update: LOST in snowstorm :(

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
I placed an order with Ideal about a month ago with a ship date of March 4th. It was for 12 chicks, and I opted out of packing peanuts, but added a heat pack to hopefully compensate. Anyways, I called earlier this week to confirm shipping, and they said we were all set with the 4th, but then got an email the night of the 3rd saying that they had shipped. It did not have a tracking number or any info, so I am not sure if they shipped the 3rd or yesterday (the 4th) as planned.

Of course we are having freakish weather here in PA today, and still expecting another 5-8" of snow. Now I am REALLY worried. I am either going to have to drive to the PO in a freakish snow storm today, or the poor chicks will be in transit all day today with most likely an extra day in transit due to the weather. :(

I plan on calling Ideal when they open, but can anyone give me any hope? If you have ordered from them did they send you tracking info? Or was the shipping notice it? Also, do you think they shipped on the scheduled day, or a day early based on the email? So worried!!!

Call Ideal to get a tracking number. Anything shipped priority or express will have a tracking number.

You definitely want to pick them up at the post office. An additional day bouncing around on a truck is unnecessary stress.
Your number should be on the box and they're supposed to call but they don't always do that. I've had them call about 60% of the time.
Usually the priority stuff comes in very early and are usually at the post office by 5 or 6. You can call but you need the phone number of the sorting room. The main number won't be answered till business hours.
If it's a long drive, call today and get the sorting room number explaining that there's a shipment of live fragile animals. They're usually very cooperative.
I have my POs sorting room number written on the side of a feed bin in my brooder house. As I'm setting up the brooding area before dawn I keep calling them till they answer starting around 5AM. I'm only about 10 minutes away. If I lived a long way I'd plan on being there by 6. You can drive around and knock on the back door. Or if you can get into the lobby, knock on the sorting room door.
The chicks are usually noisy enough they want to get them out of there.

I have the same ship time as you ( Tuesday evening from ideal) and went to the P.O. this morning.. No chicks yet!!.. I'm in South Carolina so our low tonight is 31°f but there's no telling where the chicks will end up before they get here..

I didn't get a tracking # either.. Didn't know there was an option

I know when we order chicks, the connecting PO calls to let us know they are there. They all get nervous when they have live animals in their building. I wouldn't worry too much. If there is an issue with mortality, I would certainly call Ideal. God speed!

I placed an order with Ideal about a month ago with a ship date of March 4th. It was for 12 chicks, and I opted out of packing peanuts, but added a heat pack to hopefully compensate. Anyways, I called earlier this week to confirm shipping, and they said we were all set with the 4th, but then got an email the night of the 3rd saying that they had shipped. It did not have a tracking number or any info, so I am not sure if they shipped the 3rd or yesterday (the 4th) as planned.

Of course we are having freakish weather here in PA today, and still expecting another 5-8" of snow. Now I am REALLY worried. I am either going to have to drive to the PO in a freakish snow storm today, or the poor chicks will be in transit all day today with most likely an extra day in transit due to the weather. :(

I plan on calling Ideal when they open, but can anyone give me any hope? If you have ordered from them did they send you tracking info? Or was the shipping notice it? Also, do you think they shipped on the scheduled day, or a day early based on the email? So worried!!!

The Pottstown PO always called when I had chicks shipped there, but they often had been sitting there for hours before they called, so I think in this weather I would call the PO and tell them you are expecting chicks, and want to know if they are in yet.

I hope they get here safe and sound. If not, and you really need a "chick fix", I have lots of little ones and more hatching this weekend!

Thanks so much everyone!! I have been on the phone all morning....got the tracking number, which hasn't been updated since TX (of course), and they DID ship on the 3rd so a day early. I really wish Ideal would have checked with me OR the weather before rescheduling my ship date. VERY frustrating.....Anyways, I called the PO and they said no chicks yet, but to call at 12 since that is when the next scheduled delivery is. They were not sure though if the Airport was closed or not, so the chicks may be delayed a day anyways due to weather. I looked up the PHL Airport, but they just have an "Advisory" out and of course I don't have a flight number, so can't check on that.

UGH I am so worried. First time having baby chicks shipped and of course they do it NOT on my scheduled date, and during the biggest snow storm of the year. Oh, and just wanted to add, even if weather was 50 like it usually is in March here, I would have picked them up...I never have let any poultry sit at the PO or have to ride in the truck ;) What I meant by extra day is if the weather delays them, not me not wanting to go get them.

Last edited:
The Pottstown PO always called when I had chicks shipped there, but they often had been sitting there for hours before they called, so I think in this weather I would call the PO and tell them you are expecting chicks, and want to know if they are in yet.

I hope they get here safe and sound. If not, and you really need a "chick fix", I have lots of little ones and more hatching this weekend!

Thanks! Yeah they have never really called me in a timely manner for adult birds, so figured chicks would be the same deal :/

Thanks for the chick offer! I will let you know! I have been keeping an eye on your ads...LOVE your NHs. A friend of mine keeps bringing up getting some Legbars from you too!

Current info on PHL - Not looking good. Hope they are at least keeping the babies somewhere warm :(

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Due to the weather, there are delays and cancellations reported at PhiladelphiaInternational Airport.
Wednesday afternoon, the airport announced arriving flights are delayed an average of 1 hour and 45 minutes.
PHL says, “Several airlines already have canceled flights Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. For Wednesday evening, nearly 100 arrivals and departures (20 percent of total) have been canceled.”
The airport suggests if you are scheduled to fly Wednesday evening or Thursday, check your flight status with your airline.

I'm sure the chicks are in a warm building unless by chance they are on a plane stranded on the tarmac.
fl.gif

I just called ideal and got my tracking #.. Her records show I'm suppose to get my chicks today.. But the PO already received their priority mail and they weren't there!!.. The only tracking is the original departure and the PO says they should have at least arrived in Greenville by now. She's concerned too which is starting to scare me. She said they'll let me pick them up in Greenville if they make it there today (about 20 minutes) to save the chicks from another lay over.. She also said yesterday they got chicks in Greenville on the expedited mail that should have went to Clinton sc priority because its quicker and they like to move chicks quick.

I told her I'd be impatiently waiting by the phone for their call

Back
Top Bottom