Chick out growing his feathers

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
Really. One of my
Really. One of my cockerel chicks has been from birth a red colored chicken. Up until last week his color has remained the same. Now in the last week he is growing so fast and standing so tall he's changing colors. He got a lot of gray feathers splotches on him. And his feathers look to short. He looks like some tall dude with pants about 6 inches to short. His coat is the same. His feathers just look to short. The other five look about normal although they're growing like weeds too.

Should this be?

Last edited:
Chickens go through two juvenile molts before they reach maturity. They outgrow their feathers so they shed them and grow new ones. Different chickens molt at different rates.

I hate to give hard and fast numbers because somebody will come back and legitimately say theirs did it differently, But I'd look for the first juvenile molt around 8 to 9 weeks and the second one maybe just over a month or so later.

This has happened to my chick. She was a whitish/gray as a chick, then slowly started to change color. The same happened to my red chicken. You could see her slowly starting to change color.

Back
Top Bottom