Chick Outings

I start putting mine outside for a few hours around 3ish weeks. We have a small store bought coop & run that they play in. It's good as a transitional coop until they can join the big girls.

So should I go ahead and take all 6 of them to school?  My son's class would LOVE it.  They would be out of the brooder for about an hour.  They are 17 days old. 

I think they will be fine, but I wouldn't personally want to keep track of that many chicks in a classroom... it really depends on the ages of the kids...I'd probably only take 2 or 3.

OK your probably right not to take them all. I don't want the ones left here to stress about the ones that are gone! lol I would take them in a big plastic bin with pine in the bottom, similar to a brooder and take them out one at a time to walk them around the room to show the kids. No way I'm letting my chicks run around on the floor. They would get stepped on for sure. A room full of 6 year olds could be dangerous if I'm not careful ;-) My son will be there to help and he is really really good with them.

@foreverlearning So do you just put the whole brooder outside? I would like to have them roam around freely in the yard to explore with supervision, of course. Do you think I do that safely with them being this young?

I have a little topless pen that I made with deer netting ($13 for 7'x100' at lowes) and 1"x2"s. I first tried a chicken wire pen but they can squeeze out when they are small. The reason I do topless where most would want a top is two fold. First my flock gets on top and in it to check them out and mother them. Second, I have active bird hunting dogs that have been trained to protect my flock. When my bird hunting dogs see something in that pen they know it is to be protected so they hop in and lay down with them. The only loss I have ever had of a chick or bird from those dogs was when they were not introduced to the dogs in the pen. With chicks being so small you tend to watch them more then usual so it is more important to keep them in then to keep something out.

While we are on this subject, I have a few chicks hatched under broody birds.
They are penned away from the other birds, at what age would you think it's ok to let mum take them out among the rest?

While we are on this subject, I have a few chicks hatched under broody birds.
They are penned away from the other birds, at what age would you think it's ok to let mum take them out among the rest?

It all depends on your broodies placement in the flock. Your broody will work them into the flock and this means attacking anything that tries to harm her chicks. If the broody is at the top of the pecking order the chicks can be with the flock within the first week as most other hens will not challenge the broody. If the broody is at the bottom of the pecking order then you want to wait until the chicks are big enough to defend themselves (half grown size about 2 months) and expect pecking order displays.

Right, cheers.
I have 2 hens sitting on eggs. There's a silkie who's low down and a Shamo who's 2nd after the O Shamo cock (father)so I'm not sure but think Shamo will do the protecty thing.

Right, cheers.
I have 2 hens sitting on eggs. There's a silkie who's low down and a Shamo who's 2nd after the O Shamo cock (father)so I'm not sure but think Shamo will do the protecty thing.

Be careful the first week or two with the broodies. If they are going to fight and steal chicks from each other it will be in this time. Best bet would be to put them in a pen with see threw fencing between them so they can interact with each other without touching then when they all go with the regular flock it should be almost seamless.

I took all six chicks and both the kids and the chicks did great! I packed a few hand warmers under some pine in a bin and off we went. They seemed to stay plenty warm. I think we may do another outing next week to my others two kids classrooms :)

Back
Top Bottom