Chick passed extremely watery blood after cleaning vent?

Thank you so much for the help! I have one last question haha. Should I be giving a direct dose to the beaks of ALL of the chicks? I'm not sure how to measure for a direct dose when these guys are tiny bantams and only the size of a ping pong ball. I have a oral syringe that goes to 0.5ml as the smallest increment.
How are the others behaving? If they are running around like normal crazy babies, you don't need to direct dose them, but if they are at all lethargic I would go ahead and give them a direct dose too. Our last hatch had only 1 out of 5 who needed a direct dose of Corid.
One drop of liquid from an eyedropper is considered to be .05mL so maybe try to give a part of a drop... We have some .5ml volume syringes that I got for no egg withdrawal doses of dewormer, but that doesn't help you now.

How are the others behaving? If they are running around like normal crazy babies, you don't need to direct dose them, but if they are at all lethargic I would go ahead and give them a direct dose too. Our last hatch had only 1 out of 5 who needed a direct dose of Corid.
One drop of liquid from an eyedropper is considered to be .05mL so maybe try to give a part of a drop... We have some .5ml volume syringes that I got for no egg withdrawal doses of dewormer, but that doesn't help you now.

3 out of the remaining 5 since I lost one chick this morning are active. One of the active ones excreted straight blood so I did a direct dose even though it is behaving fine. Can I give selenium with vitamin E to my very sick chick? One of the chicks now has an awful case of wry neck that went from balance issues to not being able to lift neck within a few hours.

They're inside my house for me, I have other chicks from a online hatchery in the same room completely different brooder set up that have been fine and have normal poops.

I genuinely don't think the breeder knows as these chicks were probably too young to show symptoms while with her. She did say she has been having some wry neck issues with one of her other breeds and supplementing vitamins right now when I told her a chick from her order I bought died of wry neck. I'm thinking her whole flock has this right now. I'm going to reach out and let her know, I genuinely don't think this was on purpose she gave me 3 extra silkie chicks after I came to get more when one died of wry neck. I don't blame her nor am I upset this happened just stressed since it's been a month of dying chicks for me all with different issues.
I am so sorry this is happening. It always breaks my heart when the littles die. It sounds like the breeder is probably doing her best. I would definitely let he know, thought, so she can make changes to her breeding program. So sad....

3 out of the remaining 5 since I lost one chick this morning are active. One of the active ones excreted straight blood so I did a direct dose even though it is behaving fine. Can I give selenium with vitamin E to my very sick chick? One of the chicks now has an awful case of wry neck that went from balance issues to not being able to lift neck within a few hours.
Oh no! Poor baby:(. Eggcessive did say back on page 1 that you could continue wry neck treatment with corid
If you any symptoms of wry neck, you can give a 400 IU softgel of human vitamin E orally. Just don’t use any extra B vitamins while on the Corid, but you can use them when the Corid is finished.
I'm surprised the one who pooped blood is still active, but yes, that one needs the direct dose too. I know my baby started feeling better within 24 hours of direct dosing and water treatment, so hopefully yours will all start improving soon too!

Oh no! Poor baby:(. Eggcessive did say back on page 1 that you could continue wry neck treatment with corid

I'm surprised the one who pooped blood is still active, but yes, that one needs the direct dose too. I know my baby started feeling better within 24 hours of direct dosing and water treatment, so hopefully yours will all start improving soon too!

I totally forgot about that reply I'm all over the place today. Fingers crossed! The first one to poop blood died and was getting lethargic by that point, the second one pooped blood but was still active and I immediately dosed with Corid so fingers crossed that one pulls through. I have 2 others I am not all that hopeful about one has extreme wry neck at this point and is rolling around so far that baby is not responding to vitamin E and Selenium. My heart hurts for these poor babies not sure if I'll raise silkie chicks after this experience ever again.

I am so sorry this is happening. It always breaks my heart when the littles die. It sounds like the breeder is probably doing her best. I would definitely let he know, thought, so she can make changes to her breeding program. So sad....

I didn't name these new guys, the last 3 broke my heart 💔. The breeder acted like it was my own doing or the weather. I'm sure the fear of your business being hurt created that reaction so I dropped it after letting them know.

I totally forgot about that reply I'm all over the place today. Fingers crossed! The first one to poop blood died and was getting lethargic by that point, the second one pooped blood but was still active and I immediately dosed with Corid so fingers crossed that one pulls through. I have 2 others I am not all that hopeful about one has extreme wry neck at this point and is rolling around so far that baby is not responding to vitamin E and Selenium. My heart hurts for these poor babies not sure if I'll raise silkie chicks after this experience ever again.

I didn't name these new guys, the last 3 broke my heart 💔. The breeder acted like it was my own doing or the weather. I'm sure the fear of your business being hurt created that reaction so I dropped it after letting them know.
You are a very understanding person. I doubt many folks would be.
🙂

How are your chicks?

Majority of them passed away, one passed away last night. I now only have 3 chicks alive out of a total of 7, and the remaining ones are all a week apart in age from that breeder. I was given a 3 week old chick as basically a guaranteed survivor with the 1 week olds just incase I had anymore issues after one of my original chicks from the breeder passed away. So basically only 1 chick has survived so far from the youngest chicks that were hatched together. The odds of survival with them have been pretty awful. ☹️ The 3 left seem strong though so fingers crossed, tomorrow will be the last day of Corid treatment if I do 5 days..

If you were to add a small amount of tuna juice to their water that may help rehydrate and re-"nutrientize" them long enough for you to figure out what's wrong. They may not be dehydrated but they are losing nutrients and electrolytes causing lethargy

Back
Top Bottom