Chick picked up salamander...bad!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizch, Apr 23, 2011.

1. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I was watching the chicks (7 weeks old) and one picked up what I thought was a slug. The chick dropped it quickly and then just stood there stunned. A closer look showed it was a black salamander with a yellow stripe down it.

The chick's left eye had some sort of mucusy stuff on it right away--I assume a poisonous coating from the salamander? The chick is clearly distressed and can't open that eye. She was very very quiet for a bit, now is running around scratching her eye and wiping her face on the ground.

I tried rinsing it a bit with just plain water, but wasn't sure if that's the best thing to do?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I might so saline eye wash if you have some. I don't know, i didn't know salamanders were posionious. hope your chick get ok. you can make saline wash out of warm water and salt too.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:x2 rinse as much as you can. Hope the chick is OK!

4. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Update: chick is fine.

She was pretty upset for a while, but seems 100% OK again now.

Apparently, this particular salamander has one of the strongest known toxins on its skin. If I ate it, I would die very quickly. It's the same toxin as the puffer fish and can easily kill small animals. I feel so fortunate that the chick dropped it so quickly. I just have to cross my fingers that she's learned her lesson...though since it looked like a slug at first glance to me, I can't imagine how a chicken would tell the difference till it's too late!

Thanks for your replies. Even two months ago, I wouldn't have been able to fathom such a strong attachment to these birds. It's wonderful to have this forum to turn to for advice and support from people who understand.

Oh, one lingering question: is it a normal chicken response to "go possum" in the face of stress? She literally just stood there, not moving at all, so I could grab her easily. Usually, it takes 5 minutes of chasing to grab hold of her. Or was that this particular toxin that briefly paralyzed her?

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am thinking she was "stunned" by the awful taste of it. Although, I think puffer fish have a neuro-toxin. Still, I think the chick would have gotten real sick and stayed sick for a good while if that were it. Glad she is OK. I bet she won't make that mistake again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by