Chick pipped towards floor. Should I assist?

Shabby Chic-Hens

My mind is like a Diamond; hard and sparkly
Premium Feather Member
Sep 6, 2022
Maine, United States, North America, Earth.
The chick pipped towards the floor. My mom flipped the egg over so she could get out. It is possible that she pipped yesterday. The membrane has dried quite a bit, but she’s still breathing. Should I assist?
Thanks !
Shabby
4D33A183-9283-456C-A2E3-0D2C5308FF11.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd keep a close eye on it for now. If you've already opened the incubator it would be better to give it a while. If she's still breathing she should be alright, but if hours pass and she doesn't make any progress, maybe pull some of the dried membrane away. If there is any blood on the membrane stop all assistance and put her back in the incubator.

I'd keep a close eye on it for now. If you've already opened the incubator it would be better to give it a while. If she's still breathing she should be alright, but if hours pass and she doesn't make any progress, maybe pull some of the dried membrane away. If there is any blood on the membrane stop all assistance and put her back in the incubator.
I opened it up a bit, her toe is sticking out now

The chick pipped towards the floor. My mom flipped the egg over so she could get out. It is possible that she pipped yesterday. The membrane has dried quite a bit, but she’s still breathing. Should I assist?
Thanks !
Shabby View attachment 3492542
You did the right thing by turning it over so that the pip is facing up
I wouldn't assist yet, but you could dab a little coconut oil or vaseline onto any exposed membrane just to keep it moist. Be sure not to get any on the chicks nares

Back
Top Bottom