Chick pipping at the wrong end of the egg...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clhowe8375, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Clhowe8375

Clhowe8375 Hatching

Apr 3, 2018
    These are my Malay eggs i had shipped for my husband. They are so important to us. We just got our first pip last night but its on the pointy end. Im just wondering if there is hope for this baby and what signs do i need to look for if its in trouble. 20180402_194744.jpg

2. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    Hey, if it does not zip in 24-48 hours you may need to help it, just don't keep your hopes up, hopefully it will hatch.:fl

3. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Chicks that pip on the wrong end are usually fine, they just take a little longer to zip. Keep an eye on the membrane, if it starts to turn brown, you may need to moisten it with a LITTLE coconut oil or vaseline.

KikisGirls and MillersFarm like this.
  4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had one do this to me last spring and it made it out. Just remember, don't rush to help. When they pip on the wrong end they have skipped the internal pip so they are way ahead of schedule on the others, like a day. Just keep the humidity up to keep membrane moist. Since you have other eggs in there, you at least have a "proper" timeline to guess at. Wait till the others pip and zip and that should give you an idea of when the veins and yolk are absorbed and it is ready to come out. If it doesn't start zipping after the others have, you may have to assist, but that is up to you. Good luck.

oregonkat likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: