chick pipping under hen

sassysarah

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Apr 3, 2017
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
It's day 20 and there is a chick pipping under my broody Easter egger. This is her first time being broody and I fear she will attack the chick if it hatches. My light brahma went into the coop and chased my broody EE out and cracked one of her eggs. So I pushed my brahma out real quick and the egg was already broken and the chick out. My EE came back in and started attacking the chick.
I'm pretty sure it was already dead though. I'm afraid she will attack the chick that is pipping if it hatches. Should I take the pipping egg out and put it in the incubator?
I have to go out soon so won't be here long. I'm thinking I should just put it in the incubator before I leave???

Depends on how badly you want the chicks. Can you block her off so others can't get to her and the baby? Sometimes you just have to let them do their thing. Then you will know for future what kind of momma she will be.

Depends on how badly you want the chicks. Can you block her off so others can't get to her and the baby? Sometimes you just have to let them do their thing. Then you will know for future what kind of momma she will be.
I put a board up so my brahma can't get into the nest box.
If my EE attacks the first chick that hatches I probably won't be here to do anything to save the chick.
That's why I want to put it in the incubator just in case. But if your saying I shouldn't.....

I put a board up so my brahma can't get into the nest box.
If my EE attacks the first chick that hatches I probably won't be here to do anything to save the chick.
That's why I want to put it in the incubator just in case. But if your saying I shouldn't.....

Nope, perfectly fine to do whichever way you want. If it hatches in the incubator, will you try to give it back to the broody tonight?

If I hatch it in the incubator I will try to give it back to her tonight and if she attacks it should I incubate the rest of the eggs?

Normally if you do it in the dark, and slip it under her from behind, most of the time, they will accept the chicks. There's always a possibility that she will hurt it, but much less if you do it in the dark. So by morning, she is used to it squirming under her and the mothering instincts kick in.
I'd base what I do with the other eggs on how she reacts to the first hatchling.

Have you candled the ones under her?

Normally if you do it in the dark, and slip it under her from behind, most of the time, they will accept the chicks. There's always a possibility that she will hurt it, but much less if you do it in the dark. So by morning, she is used to it squirming under her and the mothering instincts kick in.
I'd base what I do with the other eggs on how she reacts to the first hatchling.

Have you candled the ones under her?
Thank you! Yes, I have candled her eggs before.

Back
Top Bottom