Chick poop sticks!

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
My 6 chicks that are 23 days old are getting too big for their brooder but our weather is still VERY cold. I don't think it got above freezing today. So it's still too soon to put them out in the coop.

So I thought, Hmmmm.....how about the extra bathroom? No one uses it and I can just sweep and mop it tonight when I "put them to bed".

So they spent the afternoon in the bathroom with their waterer and their feeder and their heat lamp clamped to the cabinet just in case they got cold. I went in, transfered all of them back to the brooder at about 8:30 tonight, swept up their feed and got a bucket of mop water.

And tried to mop up the mess. What a mistake!
roll.png

Chick poop STICKS! To EVERYTHING!!:eek: I literally had to get a scrubber to scrub it off the vinyl. Who would have thought?

Guess I won't make THAT mistake again. I'll have to think of something else to give them more room.

We started with 1 large bin. Then they were crowded, so we got another large bin. They got crowded again, so we got another large bin. Then, well, you know, they got crowded again and we got another bin.
Our living room was bin and clip-light central. Thank goodness my husband got the coop wired and we got them outside.
When I went to vacuum after changing all the pine shavings, my husband said, What, are you going to change the pine shavings on the floor now?
lol.png

Good luck and hang in there...warm weather is coming....right?

Em

I did sorta the same thing....took them all out and let them run around my kitchen....BAD IDEA...within about 15 minutes the whole floor was covered, and the crazy thing is that there were more poops than chickens...who knew things that small had that much crap in them!!!!!! Now they stay in their bin, today I put them outside for a while, just in their coop since it was a little windy and rainy, and they loved it!!! I can definately tell which ones are gonna be the bosses, and one of the two (?) roosters I have is gonna have an appt with the frying pan if he keeps going the way he's going LOL! Good luck....

* You could try lining your tub with brown paper grocery sacks or a scrap piece of flooring viynl or dollar store shower curtain, even a large black plastic trash bag in a pinch. I've even used a piece of a roll of window screen material or that spongy draw liner stuff. Any number of things will work and are either disposable or washable.

Last edited:
Oh! What a mess!!! My 12 RIR's are only 14 days old and getting to big for their brooder. I'm going to have to do something else as well. I liked the idea of the plastic kids pool on the brooder page. That seems easy and inexpensive enough! Then if you get a few ducks later you can use that as their brooder and then their playground full of water later! And if you don't get ducks, I'm sure someone's child somewhere (maybe even your own if you have any!) would love to use it this summer after it's been disinfected! That should help with the out of room thing and the sticky poo all over the floor!
lol.png
Good luck! These little chickies are an adventure for sure!

Back
Top Bottom