Chick seems to be "Backed Up"??

Lach Cnoc Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Western Washington
My little serama chick seems to be in distress. i checked her all out and she has a 'lumpy' area back near her vent on her tummy. she continues to peep (almost rhythmically) and her little tail keeps going up n down like shes trying to go but nothing is happening.

what can i do?

i brought her in gave her vitamins in her water and some food....she maybe got some of the calf mana/crumble mash i gave the broodies the other day..could this be the problem?? maybe she ate too much??

I give calf manna from day one. I grind it to a powder and mix it in and have never ever had a problem. Maybe try a little sugar water to get things moving. I think I read somewhere that you can add a little molasses to the water til it looks like tea and that helps them if they are constipated. Good Luck to you and your little feathered friend. Don't worry about the calf manna.

i used calf amna in the past for putting weight on skinny, rescued rabbits, it works awesomely. it can be used for all livestock and poultry it says.

the chick is a tiny serama, not sure of weight, still very young but almost feathered in completely. she is kind of skinny.

shes a little lethargic, making peep and some other odd noise constantly, like a rhythm. like something hurts. droopy wings.

no bleeding or anything, vent looks fine and all. tummy is VERY firm.

shes been eating starter and got some of the calf mana mash a few days ago, i am sure. drinking avia charge water.

there is NO poo at all!!

i gave her some oil in her beak, she doesnt seem to wanna eat much, she ate a little when i brought her in but thats all ive seen.

She was housed with the broodies and other older chicks. pine shavings on the floor.

ETA: i am going to give her a warm bath right now. shes snuggled on my shoulder/neck at the moment.

Last edited:
I still don't know what calf mana is.

It does indeed sound like she is constipated or plugged up from something.

If the bath does not help, you may have to squirt some water or oil up her vent to try to get her pooping.

I would stay away from molasses or sugar unless a chick is is extremely stressed, and then only for a meal or two.

They need chick starter or grower, depending on age, and really need nothing else, except perhaps a bit of live culture yogut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious to know how you chick does as well. We have a three week/four week old meat bird in a similar perdicament. His vent was blocked and bloody (we think from other birds picking at him). He is not eating and is very droopy and not moving much. We have soaked him a couple of times and all we are getting at the moment is white stuff (poo, I guess) that slowly runs out of him. But we don't know how long he's gone w/out eating. We tried a boiled egg and could not get him to swollow...hoping for the best. Good luck with your little one.

Pidge seems more active this morning, she's actually eating too!

but her tummy still feels very firm....i tried massaging it last night but was worried i might press too hard and didn't want to hurt her insides...it it doesn't happen later today looks like i am going to have to go the enema route.....

oh yay...can't wait..
hmm.png

i do think the bath made her feel a little better though.

Back
Top Bottom