Chick Shortage?

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
:jumpyHello everyone! It has been a great while since I have an posted. But has anyone noticed in 2023 Chicks are hard to get in Texas. Is it everywhere too? I tried going to my local stores where I usually get them and they keep telling me they sold out:th I have never seen it like this. I thought well I will order from hatchery, :cafeven their chicks are not available until May 1st or later. I have ran around :weefor 2 months now and finally found a few, 9 to be exact, 3 New Hampshire Reds and 6 Cream Legbars. But as soon as I got them home with in an hour 2 Legbars died.:he I called the place I got them and they have no type of warranty on livestock. Who would have thought the world would come to this. So I will continue to listen for the sound of chirping chicks and maybe someday I will find some more, some how, some place, somewhere eventually!

A lot of people are saying that they can't find chicks. TSC near me has straight run only, right now. I talked to someone who works there, and he said they sell out of pullets in an hour.

A lot of commercial hatcheries are swamped, and many are out for the next couple months.

It's like 2020 all over again.

Good luck with your search!

Do you have any poultry swaps in your area? Look on Craigslist for local swaps and for chicks…..

:jumpyHello everyone! It has been a great while since I have an posted. But has anyone noticed in 2023 Chicks are hard to get in Texas. Is it everywhere too? I tried going to my local stores where I usually get them and they keep telling me they sold out:th I have never seen it like this. I thought well I will order from hatchery, :cafeven their chicks are not available until May 1st or later. I have ran around :weefor 2 months now and finally found a few, 9 to be exact, 3 New Hampshire Reds and 6 Cream Legbars. But as soon as I got them home with in an hour 2 Legbars died.:he I called the place I got them and they have no type of warranty on livestock. Who would have thought the world would come to this. So I will continue to listen for the sound of chirping chicks and maybe someday I will find some more, some how, some place, somewhere eventually!
It’s everywhere. I’m in PA and the local feed store had to cancel my chick order because he waits until he has orders for 100 of each breed, and by the time he called them in, the hatchery told him they weren’t able to even take new orders until June. The local TSC also seems like it only has ducks and broilers. The rest of the brooders are set up but empty. My last hope is a local small time hatchery that orders a few breeds they don’t breed themselves was ahead of the game and ordered way early and then once a month sells chicks on a first come first serve basis along with the chicks they have regularly.

:jumpyHello everyone! It has been a great while since I have a posted. But has anyone noticed in 2023 Chicks are hard to get in Texas. Is it everywhere too? I tried going to my local stores where I usually get them and they keep telling me they sold out:th I have never seen it like this. I thought well I will order from hatchery, :cafeven their chicks are not available until May 1st or later. I have ran around :weefor 2 months now and finally found a few, 9 to be exact, 3 New Hampshire Reds and 6 Cream Legbars. But as soon as I got them home with in an hour 2 Legbars died.:he I called the place I got them and they have no type of warranty on livestock. Who would have thought the world would come to this. So I will continue to listen for the sound of chirping chicks and maybe someday I will find some more, some how, some place, somewhere eventually!
Same problem in Alabama. Tractor supply, Rural King, all out of chicks and don’t know when they’ll get more.

Yup. I was lucky to get chicks when I did. I called everywhere and they were selling out like crazy. I found out the feed store 15 minutes away had the breed I wanted got and the car and went.

Our TSC just started getting their shipments. Usually come in on Weds and sold out by end of the day. Not sure if it’s truly a shortage or just a lot more wanting chicks bc of the cost of eggs

Our TSC just started getting their shipments. Usually come in on Weds and sold out by end of the day. Not sure if it’s truly a shortage or just a lot more wanting chicks bc of the cost of eggs
Here, the egg price bubble has burst. Eggs that were $5.09 a few weeks ago are $2.89 now.

TSC still can't keep pullets in stock. I'm wondering what people will do with their chickens when they "get tired" of work and/or the chickens take "too long" to lay.

Back
Top Bottom