Chick Sick suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by retsbreh, Jun 10, 2009.

1. retsbreh

retsbreh In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Killen/Centerhill
    I need some advice. I have a chick that was fine on Monday evening and dead late Tuesday night. I am at a loss. They have all been acting fine. No diahhrea or anything. This one was acting lethargic yesterday evening so I decided to isolate him last night. I got up this morning and he is dead. I had taken his food away from him overnight to make sure his crop was working correctly. I did leave water in there with him though. They were hatched about May 17th. They are not on cedar, they are fed chick feed. I am wondering if I need to go ahead and give the rest of the chicks antibiotics. I did have a RIR hen die about a week ago but I think that was a crop issue. [​IMG]

2. retsbreh

retsbreh In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Killen/Centerhill
    [​IMG] BTW These guys are kept seperatly from the grown chickens. I just don't want to lose anymore.

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Awww I'm sorry! Did he have pasty butt? If there was nothing else wrong that you could see, he might have been a failure to thrive! Sometimes they just pass for no reason that we can see. He could have had internal problems thet were not visible on the outside. I would not use antibiotics on them unless you know what you are treating. If you use them too much they will not work when you really have a bad problem. I say watch the rest of them, if there are anymore looking sad, give it some yogurt or/and some Poly-vi-sol vitamins (without iron).

I hope the rest continue to thrive!![​IMG]

4. retsbreh

retsbreh In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Killen/Centerhill
    No pasty butt. I was worried because he was lethargic and I watched him for quite a while and he didn't poop at all. I took a warm cloth and massage his rear to see if that would help. He did let some clear/yellow/white poop. Very runny. He had started growing his feathers and everything. I hope I don't lose anymore. Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: