very sick hen, sudden onset

I have not seen Gout when doing necropsy in my flock.
Final report 03/13/2024:
Animal ID: Eleanor, female, adult
1. Gout: urate deposition on lung, liver, spleen, oviduct
a. Urate tophi with mild heterophilic and histiocytic interstitial nephritis, and tubular degeneration
2. PCR for AI did not detect the pathogen.
L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s
Final report 03/13/2024:
Special stains were done and identified urate deposition in areas of lung. This concludes all testing.
Preliminary report 03/06/2024:
There was not microscopic evidence compatible with a lymphoproliferative disease, intead there macroscopic lesions are
attributed to the urate deposition observed under the microscope. This deposition of urate crystals on serous surface of viscera
is either associated to impaired excretion by the kidneys (dehydration) or over production (excessive dietary protein or calcium).
An updated report will be shared.
Preliminary report 03/05/2024:
While the macroscopic changes in the kidney suggest a possible lymphoproliferative disease, there were other changes in the
heart and intestines that suggested a possible dehydration or deposition of urates, an updated report will be shared once the
ancillary tests are done.
C a s e S u m m a r y
Page 1 of 4RPT 4 - CAHFS Standard Report - 2023-12-13
March 13, 2024CAHFS Final Version 1 Accession # T2400373
2/28/24 boggy crop. Same boggy crop 2/29. Lethargic, drinking lots of water. Standing in one spot entire day sleeping and
drinking. 17% layer crumbles, vitamins, probiotic, fruits, vegetables, occasional free range, secure coop/run. Laid 4 eggs a week.
Last egg 2/29. Crop surgery 11/14/23. Eleanor made full recovery. Sept/Oct of 2023 Eleanor was standing in pain. Vet prescribed
trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole 100 mg x 2, meloxicam 7.5 mg 1/4-tab x 2. Eleanor recovered. Mites May 2023, full recovery.
Eleanor is 1 yr. 11 months old. I raised her from 2 days old along with 5 other hens all same age. Given Monistat 2 ml x 2 day.
C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y
G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
A hen is presented for necropsy on March 1st, 2025. Carcass is in good to fair postmortem condition and good body condition
based on the internal adipose stores (subcutis, mesentery, and epicardial). The hen is markedly dehydrated. The lungs are wet
and heavy, the air sacs are cloudy. The pericardial sac is cloudy and covered by a large amount of chalky white material. The
crop has a small amount of mucoid white material. The proventriculus has a small to medium number of seeds. The intestines
have a small amount of watery yellow to green content throughout. The serosa of the intestines is covered by a medium amount
of gritty material. The liver is friable and the gallbladder has a small amount of green watery material. Similar white material
observed in the serosa of the small intestines is observed covering the capsule of the spleen. The left kidney is enlarged,
multilobulated and pale. There is a retained egg shell in the celomic cavity. Both sciatic nerves are mildly edematous.
Tissues examined include conjunctiva, choana, air sacs, larynx, trachea/syrinx, lung, heart, ovary, adrenal gland, skeletal
muscle, esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, liver, pancreas, intestine, spleen, sciatic nerves (left) and brain
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type
BYF Necropsy Exam – 2 Bird limit
Results
Eleanor CarcassEleanor Done
B a c t e r i o l o g y
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
Eleanor Liver SwabEleanor No growth after 48 hours
Eleanor Coelomic Cavity SwabEleanor Escherichia coli Mod#
Salmonella RT PCR Screen & culture
Results
Eleanor Cecal Contents PoolEleanor Negative
B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Influenza A PCR with Internal Control
Results
Eleanor Pharyngeal Swab -
VTM
Eleanor Not Detected
H i s t o l o g y
Kidney: The section is effaced by diffuse areas of necrosis and hypocellularity and degeneration of the epithelial cells in the
tubule. Within these areas, and expanding the tubules there are colorless to basophilic radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline
deposits (urate tophi).
Liver: There are multifocal areas of necrosis that coalesce, these foci are composed of colorless to basophilic to pale eosinophilic
radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline deposits (urate tophi).
Similar urate tophi are observed in the lung, spleen, and oviduct, along with macrophages, heterophils, lymphocytes and fibrin.
Tissues examined include brain, sciatic nerves, brachial plexus, ovary, liver, kidney, lungs, heart, thymus, air sacs,
proventriculus, pancreas, small intestine, and colon.
T o x i c o l o g y
Page 2 of 4RPT 4 - CAHFS Standard Report - 2023-12-13
Reporting Limit (Rep. Limit): The lowest routinely quantified concentration of an analyte in a sample. The analyte may be
detected, but not quantified, at concentrations below the reporting limit. Sample volumes less than requested might result in
reporting limits that are higher than those listed.
The detected liver mineral results are within acceptable or non-diagnostic ranges for this species.
The brain sodium concentration is within an expected range.
HEAVY METAL SCREEN
Eleanor Liver TissueEleanor
Analyte Result Units Ref. RangeRep. Limit Units
Arsenic ppm1ppmNot Detected <1.0
Cadmium ppm0.3ppm1 <5.0
Copper ppm0.3ppm3 3.0-15.0
Iron ppm1ppm180 60-300
Lead ppm1ppmNot Detected <1.0
Manganese ppm0.1ppm3.7 2.0-4.0
Mercury ppm1ppmNot Detected <1.0
Molybdenum ppm0.4ppm0.76
Zinc ppm0.3ppm54 25-40
SALT SCREEN
Eleanor Brain TissueEleanor
Analyte Result Units Rep. Limit Units
Sodium ppm3ppm1200

Final report 03/13/2024:
Animal ID: Eleanor, female, adult
1. Gout: urate deposition on lung, liver, spleen, oviduct
a. Urate tophi with mild heterophilic and histiocytic interstitial nephritis, and tubular degeneration
2. PCR for AI did not detect the pathogen.
L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s
Final report 03/13/2024:
Special stains were done and identified urate deposition in areas of lung. This concludes all testing.
Preliminary report 03/06/2024:
There was not microscopic evidence compatible with a lymphoproliferative disease, intead there macroscopic lesions are
attributed to the urate deposition observed under the microscope. This deposition of urate crystals on serous surface of viscera
is either associated to impaired excretion by the kidneys (dehydration) or over production (excessive dietary protein or calcium).
An updated report will be shared.
Preliminary report 03/05/2024:
While the macroscopic changes in the kidney suggest a possible lymphoproliferative disease, there were other changes in the
heart and intestines that suggested a possible dehydration or deposition of urates, an updated report will be shared once the
ancillary tests are done.
C a s e S u m m a r y
Page 1 of 4RPT 4 - CAHFS Standard Report - 2023-12-13
2/28/24 boggy crop. Same boggy crop 2/29. Lethargic, drinking lots of water. Standing in one spot entire day sleeping and
drinking. 17% layer crumbles, vitamins, probiotic, fruits, vegetables, occasional free range, secure coop/run. Laid 4 eggs a week.
Last egg 2/29. Crop surgery 11/14/23. Eleanor made full recovery. Sept/Oct of 2023 Eleanor was standing in pain. Vet prescribed
trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole 100 mg x 2, meloxicam 7.5 mg 1/4-tab x 2. Eleanor recovered. Mites May 2023, full recovery.
Eleanor is 1 yr. 11 months old. I raised her from 2 days old along with 5 other hens all same age. Given Monistat 2 ml x 2 day.
C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y
G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
A hen is presented for necropsy on March 1st, 2025. Carcass is in good to fair postmortem condition and good body condition
based on the internal adipose stores (subcutis, mesentery, and epicardial). The hen is markedly dehydrated. The lungs are wet
and heavy, the air sacs are cloudy. The pericardial sac is cloudy and covered by a large amount of chalky white material. The
crop has a small amount of mucoid white material. The proventriculus has a small to medium number of seeds. The intestines
have a small amount of watery yellow to green content throughout. The serosa of the intestines is covered by a medium amount
of gritty material. The liver is friable and the gallbladder has a small amount of green watery material. Similar white material
observed in the serosa of the small intestines is observed covering the capsule of the spleen. The left kidney is enlarged,
multilobulated and pale. There is a retained egg shell in the celomic cavity. Both sciatic nerves are mildly edematous.
Tissues examined include conjunctiva, choana, air sacs, larynx, trachea/syrinx, lung, heart, ovary, adrenal gland, skeletal
muscle, esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, liver, pancreas, intestine, spleen, sciatic nerves (left) and brain
BYF Necropsy Exam – 2 Bird limit
Results
Eleanor CarcassEleanor Done
B a c t e r i o l o g y
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
Eleanor Liver SwabEleanor No growth after 48 hours
Eleanor Coelomic Cavity SwabEleanor Escherichia coli Mod#
Salmonella RT PCR Screen & culture
Results
Eleanor Cecal Contents PoolEleanor Negative
B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Influenza A PCR with Internal Control
Results
Eleanor Pharyngeal Swab -
VTM
Eleanor Not Detected
H i s t o l o g y
Kidney: The section is effaced by diffuse areas of necrosis and hypocellularity and degeneration of the epithelial cells in the
tubule. Within these areas, and expanding the tubules there are colorless to basophilic radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline
deposits (urate tophi).
Liver: There are multifocal areas of necrosis that coalesce, these foci are composed of colorless to basophilic to pale eosinophilic
radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline deposits (urate tophi).
Similar urate tophi are observed in the lung, spleen, and oviduct, along with macrophages, heterophils, lymphocytes and fibrin.
Tissues examined include brain, sciatic nerves, brachial plexus, ovary, liver, kidney, lungs, heart, thymus, air sacs,
proventriculus, pancreas, small intestine, and colon.
T o x i c o l o g y
Page 2 of 4RPT 4 - CAHFS Standard Report - 2023-12-13
Reporting Limit (Rep. Limit): The lowest routinely quantified concentration of an analyte in a sample. The analyte may be
detected, but not quantified, at concentrations below the reporting limit. Sample volumes less than requested might result in
reporting limits that are higher than those listed.
The detected liver mineral results are within acceptable or non-diagnostic ranges for this species.
The brain sodium concentration is within an expected range.
HEAVY METAL SCREEN
Eleanor Liver TissueEleanor
Analyte Result Units Ref. RangeRep. Limit Units
Arsenic ppm1ppmNot Detected <1.0
Cadmium ppm0.3ppm1 <5.0
Copper ppm0.3ppm3 3.0-15.0
Iron ppm1ppm180 60-300
Lead ppm1ppmNot Detected <1.0
Manganese ppm0.1ppm3.7 2.0-4.0
Mercury ppm1ppmNot Detected <1.0
Molybdenum ppm0.4ppm0.76
Zinc ppm0.3ppm54 25-40
SALT SCREEN
Eleanor Brain TissueEleanor
Analyte Result Units Rep. Limit Units
Sodium ppm3ppm1200
looks like kidney disease, no toxins. This is so unexpected. I guess this is a genetic disease?

This deposition of urate crystals on serous surface of viscera

looks like kidney disease, no toxins. This is so unexpected. I guess this is a genetic disease?
That's the way I understand it.
Kidney disease/Gout. Whether it's genetic, something in the diet or dehydration due to her being sick, hard to know.
Could be a combination.

Back
Top Bottom