very sick hen, sudden onset

May 6, 2023
I have a question about my 2 year old easter egger Eleanor. 2 days ago she was just fine, laying eggs, eating, drinking. last night I was doing a crop check and hers felt very squishy while everyone one was firm. this moring it was the same and she was not herself. I massaged her crop right away and a few minutes in fluid leaked out of her mouth. I dropped my house key and bent over to pick it up and she vomited almost everything from her crop. it smelled yeasty so i gave monIstat. I could feel seeds and sand in there but no fluid. I brought her in the house and gave her some water. she did not stop drinking until her crop was just as full as it was before she vomited. I had to go to work, she stayed in the house and when I came home 8 hours later her crop was only half empty. she laid an egg and it was very frail but intact. I picked her up and water spilled out of her beak so I tipped her just for 3-4 seconds and this picture here is what came out. sand, seeds and spider plant pieces. Then I made up some electrolyte water and she started drinking it again, but standing and not moving and falling asleep. she would wake up have a drink and close her eyes not moving. she is fluffed up. she only had two very dark poops today. I am afraid she may not make the night. I have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. what is causing her to drink obsessively? she is not interested in food. She had crop issue before, but never acted like this. I'm afraid it may be more serious. Does anyone have some wisdom they would like to share? I would greatly appreciated it.

Attachments

• 20240229_162511.jpg
    20240229_162511.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240229_162537.jpg
    20240229_162537.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240229_163403.jpg
    20240229_163403.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240229_163417.jpg
    20240229_163417.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 9
Drinking a lot of water, she's trying to clear the crop or flush her system.

She's the one that had Crop Surgery a few months ago?

You provide Grit (Crushed Granite) for your flock correct?

I think you are doing what you can for her, starting the Monistat is a good idea since the contents smells bad or yeasty.
Hopefully the Vet can see her and offer some suggestions. She may have an impaction somewhere in the digestive system that is causing the crop to back up.

Drinking a lot of water, she's trying to clear the crop or flush her system.

She's the one that had Crop Surgery a few months ago?

You provide Grit (Crushed Granite) for your flock correct?

I think you are doing what you can for her, starting the Monistat is a good idea since the contents smells bad or yeasty.
Hopefully the Vet can see her and offer some suggestions. She may have an impaction somewhere in the digestive system that is causing the crop to back up.
Yes, that was Eleanor. She died in my arms last night. I am taking her to UC Davis for a necropsy today. My heart is broke.

Thanks for posting the preliminary necropsy report, and it would be good to see the final results. Gout can have many possible causes. Diet, too much calcium or sodium, genetic predisposition, exposure to some aflatoxins, and exposure to infectious bronchitis virus in early life, are just some possibilities.

so far this is what I have received. still waiting for heavy metal toxin report. How did this happened? I been combing the internet. I found hens like acidic water, ours is very hard so I now giving them RO water. stopped rooster booster in their feed. just plain now. How does gout get diagnosed before she was so sick she could not recovery. blood test? vet never offered that. they all have access to oyster shell and grit. It was so difficult taking her to UC Davis. These girls mean so much to me. any insight for prevention or how this happened would help me help my other girls. She did not consume excessive protein either. 😢
I'm going to read your report and try to comment/offer suggestions, but I'd recommend you delete your pdf, mark through/black out your personal info and the re-upload.

:hugs I'm so sorry to hear about Eleanor. :hugs

Please do let me know what the results from UC Davis determines.
I'm going to read your report and try to comment/offer suggestions, but I'd recommend you delete your pdf, mark through/black out your personal info and the re-upload.
Animal/Source ID Type Taxonomy Gender Age
S p e c i m e n D e t a i l s
FemaleEleanor Name AdultChicken
Preliminary report 03/06/2024:
Animal ID: Eleanor, female, adult
1. Gout: urate deposition on lung, liver, spleen, oviduct
a. Urate tophi with mild heterophilic and histiocytic interstitial nephritis, and tubular degeneration
2. PCR for AI did not detect the pathogen.
L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s
There was not microscopic evidence compatible with a lymphoproliferative disease, intead there macroscopic lesions are
attributed to the urate deposition observed under the microscope. This deposition of urate crystals on serous surface of viscera
is either associated to impaired excretion by the kidneys (dehydration) or over production (excessive dietary protein or calcium).
An updated report will be shared.
Preliminary report 03/05/2024:
While the macroscopic changes in the kidney suggest a possible lymphoproliferative disease, there were other changes in the
heart and intestines that suggested a possible dehydration or deposition of urates, an updated report will be shared once the
ancillary tests are done.
C a s e S u m m a r y
2/28/24 boggy crop. Same boggy crop 2/29. Lethargic, drinking lots of water. Standing in one spot entire day sleeping and
drinking. 17% layer crumbles, vitamins, probiotic, fruits, vegetables, occasional free range, secure coop/run. Laid 4 eggs a week.
Last egg 2/29. Crop surgery 11/14/23. Eleanor made full recovery. Sept/Oct of 2023 Eleanor was standing in pain. Vet prescribed
C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y
Page 1 of 4RPT 4 - CAHFS Standard Report - 2023-12-13
March 06, 2024CAHFS Preliminary Version 2 Accession # T2400373
trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole 100 mg x 2, meloxicam 7.5 mg 1/4-tab x 2. Eleanor recovered. Mites May 2023, full recovery.
Eleanor is 1 yr. 11 months old. I raised her from 2 days old along with 5 other hens all same age. Given Monistat 2 ml x 2 day.
G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
A hen is presented for necropsy on March 1st, 2025. Carcass is in good to fair postmortem condition and good body condition
based on the internal adipose stores (subcutis, mesentery, and epicardial). The hen is markedly dehydrated. The lungs are wet
and heavy, the air sacs are cloudy. The pericardial sac is cloudy and covered by a large amount of chalky white material. The
crop has a small amount of mucoid white material. The proventriculus has a small to medium number of seeds. The intestines
have a small amount of watery yellow to green content throughout. The serosa of the intestines is covered by a medium amount
of gritty material. The liver is friable and the gallbladder has a small amount of green watery material. Similar white material
observed in the serosa of the small intestines is observed covering the capsule of the spleen. The left kidney is enlarged,
multilobulated and pale. There is a retained egg shell in the celomic cavity. Both sciatic nerves are mildly edematous.
Tissues examined include conjunctiva, choana, air sacs, larynx, trachea/syrinx, lung, heart, ovary, adrenal gland, skeletal
muscle, esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, liver, pancreas, intestine, spleen, sciatic nerves (left) and brain
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type
BYF Necropsy Exam – 2 Bird limit
Results
Eleanor CarcassEleanor Done
B a c t e r i o l o g y
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
Eleanor Liver SwabEleanor No growth after 48 hours
Eleanor Coelomic Cavity SwabEleanor Escherichia coli Mod#
Salmonella RT PCR Screen & culture
Results
Eleanor Cecal Contents PoolEleanor Negative
B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Influenza A PCR with Internal Control
Results
Eleanor Pharyngeal Swab -
VTM
Eleanor Not Detected
H i s t o l o g y
Kidney: The section is effaced by diffuse areas of necrosis and hypocellularity and degeneration of the epithelial cells in the
tubule. Within these areas, and expanding the tubules there are colorless to basophilic radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline
deposits (urate tophi).
Liver: There are multifocal areas of necrosis that coalesce, these foci are composed of colorless to basophilic to pale eosinophilic
radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline deposits (urate tophi).
Similar urate tophi are observed in the lung, spleen, and oviduct, along with macrophages, heterophils, lymphocytes and fibrin.
Tissues examined include brain, sciatic nerves, brachial plexus, ovary, liver, kidney, lungs, heart, thymus, air sacs,
proventriculus, pancreas, small intestine, and colon

Animal/Source ID Type Taxonomy Gender Age
S p e c i m e n D e t a i l s
FemaleEleanor Name AdultChicken
Animal ID: Eleanor, female, adult
1. Gout: urate deposition on lung, liver, spleen, oviduct
a. Urate tophi with mild heterophilic and histiocytic interstitial nephritis, and tubular degeneration
2. PCR for AI did not detect the pathogen.
L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s
There was not microscopic evidence compatible with a lymphoproliferative disease, intead there macroscopic lesions are
attributed to the urate deposition observed under the microscope. This deposition of urate crystals on serous surface of viscera
is either associated to impaired excretion by the kidneys (dehydration) or over production (excessive dietary protein or calcium).
An updated report will be shared.
Preliminary report 03/05/2024:
While the macroscopic changes in the kidney suggest a possible lymphoproliferative disease, there were other changes in the
heart and intestines that suggested a possible dehydration or deposition of urates, an updated report will be shared once the
ancillary tests are done.
C a s e S u m m a r y
2/28/24 boggy crop. Same boggy crop 2/29. Lethargic, drinking lots of water. Standing in one spot entire day sleeping and
drinking. 17% layer crumbles, vitamins, probiotic, fruits, vegetables, occasional free range, secure coop/run. Laid 4 eggs a week.
Last egg 2/29. Crop surgery 11/14/23. Eleanor made full recovery. Sept/Oct of 2023 Eleanor was standing in pain. Vet prescribed
C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y
Page 1 of 4RPT 4 - CAHFS Standard Report - 2023-12-13
March 06, 2024CAHFS Preliminary Version 2 Accession # T2400373
trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole 100 mg x 2, meloxicam 7.5 mg 1/4-tab x 2. Eleanor recovered. Mites May 2023, full recovery.
Eleanor is 1 yr. 11 months old. I raised her from 2 days old along with 5 other hens all same age. Given Monistat 2 ml x 2 day.
G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
A hen is presented for necropsy on March 1st, 2025. Carcass is in good to fair postmortem condition and good body condition
based on the internal adipose stores (subcutis, mesentery, and epicardial). The hen is markedly dehydrated. The lungs are wet
and heavy, the air sacs are cloudy. The pericardial sac is cloudy and covered by a large amount of chalky white material. The
crop has a small amount of mucoid white material. The proventriculus has a small to medium number of seeds. The intestines
have a small amount of watery yellow to green content throughout. The serosa of the intestines is covered by a medium amount
of gritty material. The liver is friable and the gallbladder has a small amount of green watery material. Similar white material
observed in the serosa of the small intestines is observed covering the capsule of the spleen. The left kidney is enlarged,
multilobulated and pale. There is a retained egg shell in the celomic cavity. Both sciatic nerves are mildly edematous.
Tissues examined include conjunctiva, choana, air sacs, larynx, trachea/syrinx, lung, heart, ovary, adrenal gland, skeletal
muscle, esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, liver, pancreas, intestine, spleen, sciatic nerves (left) and brain
BYF Necropsy Exam – 2 Bird limit
Results
Eleanor CarcassEleanor Done
B a c t e r i o l o g y
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
Eleanor Liver SwabEleanor No growth after 48 hours
Eleanor Coelomic Cavity SwabEleanor Escherichia coli Mod#
Salmonella RT PCR Screen & culture
Results
Eleanor Cecal Contents PoolEleanor Negative
B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Influenza A PCR with Internal Control
Results
Eleanor Pharyngeal Swab -
VTM
Eleanor Not Detected
H i s t o l o g y
Kidney: The section is effaced by diffuse areas of necrosis and hypocellularity and degeneration of the epithelial cells in the
tubule. Within these areas, and expanding the tubules there are colorless to basophilic radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline
deposits (urate tophi).
Liver: There are multifocal areas of necrosis that coalesce, these foci are composed of colorless to basophilic to pale eosinophilic
radiating, sharp, acicular, crystalline deposits (urate tophi).
Similar urate tophi are observed in the lung, spleen, and oviduct, along with macrophages, heterophils, lymphocytes and fibrin.
Tissues examined include brain, sciatic nerves, brachial plexus, ovary, liver, kidney, lungs, heart, thymus, air sacs,
proventriculus, pancreas, small intestine, and colon
thank you. not thinking very clearly lately

Back
Top Bottom