Elderly hen laying on her back

chicChickChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2015
Found my oldest hen (btwn 4-6 years can’t remember), laying flat on her back this afternoon. I picked her up and she was barely able to walk a foot or so and drink some water. She feels very very light. When I put up on a table to examine her she threw up a teaspoon of the water. Crop is soft. Vent is clean.

She was spry just a couple days ago.

The rest of the flock is healthy.

Last edited:
Can you get her drinking by holding a small can of water with electrolytes or a little sugar up to her beak? Offer some moistened chicken feed with a lot of water, and some bits of egg. Is she low in pecking order, and could she have been kept from eating and drinking? Is she starting to molt or losing feathers? Does she still lay eggs? Reproductive disorders or cancer can be common in older hens. Does her breath smell bad when you press lightly on the crop? She also could be suffering or starting to have sour crop or slow crop. I would not feed any whole grains or seed, and recheck her crop first thing in the morning. If you have Monistat or miconazole cream, you can give 1/2 inch of cream orally twice a day in case of sour crop. Here is some reading about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom