Chick starter feed for 12 week old pullets.

Is this okay. Can I feed the starter fees until 16 weeks. I feel liked I missed a step without grower feed. Our huge supply store told to keep them on starter feed until 16 weeks then switch to layer feed.
I never feed layer feed. I feed All flock with oyster shells. I have replaced All flock with grower feed as well. Just make sure they have oyster shells or egg shells.

Last year, witrh COVID and shortages, plenty of us substituted Starter when we couldn't get Flock Raiser/All Flock. The majority of vocal posters here will recommend, for the typical backyard owner of the typical backyard flock with typical backyard management to never feed "layer" feed. Lots of reasons for it.*

Use up your bag of Starter, transition to All Flock/FLock Raiser, and offer free choice oyster shell in a separate bucket for the rest of their lives.

*(Some of them listed there)

You didn't miss anything - I've never fed a grower formula, it's just a way to sell more feed, in my opinion. Just pay attention to the nutritional percentages -

Starter feed is 18-22% protein, with 1% or less for calcium
Layer feed is 16% protein, with 3.5-4.5% for calcium
*Generally speaking

Grower just hits a spot in the middle for those protein/calcium values. At 16 weeks of age, they are old enough you can feed them whatever you want; most transition away from starter just bc it's more expensive, and some prefer a pellet.

2x ... I stopped feeding layer years ago after having read tons of info here. I switched to Flock Raiser w/Oyster Shells free feed in a separate dish ... Never had an issue with laying nor egg shells. Layer is less protein and more calcium, stage feeds takes up storage space and read about "too much calcium for chicks/Roos". What made sense is it takes 20 - 24hrs for an egg to materialize, using/draining "energy" from the hen. She need more energy/protein not less. Oyster Shells is her calcium, not mixing in the feed.

Now start chicks off on a small bag of Med Chick Starter, once that bag is done they go on FR. I've started fermenting (read articles here) few years ago. A friend of mine also stopped doing stage feeding, recently sold some chicks. The lady returned to purchase more from the same brood, commented my friend's chicks are "bigger" ... The difference is the feed the lady was feeding vs FR 20% protein.

Is this okay. Can I feed the starter fees until 16 weeks. I feel liked I missed a step without grower feed. Our huge supply store told to keep them on starter feed until 16 weeks then switch to layer feed.
Starter feed is fine. They don't really need grower feed.

Around 16 weeks, when they're getting ready to start laying eggs, they start to need more calcium. You can provide that by switching to layer feed, or you can put out a dish of oyster shell so they can eat it for calcium and still feed starter feed (or any other suitable feed, such as Flock Raiser.)

Starter feed is safe to feed to chickens of all ages. Chicks really do need the extra protein in the starter, but it doesn't hurt older chickens either. Other feeds tend to be cheaper because they have less protein, and the older chickens can tolerate lower protein better than growing chicks can.

Thank you all, I feel so much better. I have some 1 day old chicks shipped today. I will keep each flock away from each other. It will be great to know they all can be on starter feed. I love this site!

Our huge supply store told to keep them on starter feed until 16 weeks then switch to layer feed.
Depending on breed 16 weeks could still be "early". Otherwise not a big issue. I am expecting some new chicks mid August and part of me intends to just use flock raiser from the start. The other part of me likes that starter usually has a smaller crumble. What I buy will be based on what my feed supply is at the time.

Final answer: Starter/all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for life.

I have some 1 day old chicks shipped today. I will keep each flock away from each other.
Do you intend to keep them separate for their entire lives?

Because if you intend to eventually combine them into one single flock, it might be easier if you start when the new ones are very young.

Here's one article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
The person raises chicks in a brooder inside the coop where the big chickens live, so they see each other from the very beginning. The really clever trick is to make chick-sized doors, so the chicks can come out and meet the big chickens, but can run back to their own safe space if the big chickens pick on them.

Back
Top Bottom