Chick starter/grower: Different protein levels based on type of breed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by annagoodspeed, Mar 9, 2017.

1. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    Hi All,

I will be raising two breeds of chicks this spring, Langshans and Svart Honas.
    I have been reading about optimum protein levels for chicks, and mostly it goes towards a higher level of protein, with a lot of mentions of supplementing with, or completely feeding a high protein game bird feed.
    I got to thinking about what I had read when I got my dog, a toy breed, and how most feed recommendations said to feed large breed puppies a lower protein level so as to not outgrow their developing bone structure, and a higher one for the small breeds.

Would the same hold true for the Langshans and Svart Honas? For the Langshans, would you want to start out high with a starter, go low for a grower, then back to an optimum higher protein level as a adult feed, based on what exhibitors feed? Or go with a lower level throughout the growing period? They are slow maturing, and the UK Croad Langshan site recommends the lower protein grower route, and since I want to emphasize strong healthy leg structure to support their weight, maybe that would be the best way to go about it? If so, what percentage protein would I want?
    The Svart Honas are a landrace and so much smaller, it seems that they should go with the high protein game bird direction?
    The fun part is that I am planning on running them together when growing out. I could keep them separate from hatch for a while, how long do you think?
    Let's see how complicated I can make this......:D

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Everyone has different opinions on this topic. I would go with what your birds respond best to and what fits your budget. Good luck

3. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    If I only knew what they respond to best! Too newbie to know. Haha.

I found the Livestock Conservancy heritage breed feed recommendations, they said that the newer layer breeds are selected for performance with a lower protein level feed, and so they had all old breeds with higher levels. I will go with that.

4. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Did you source your birds from a hatchery or a breeder?

If you went the breeder route, look to them for guidance. They will know best how their birds respond to different rations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by