Chick Starter: Medicated or Not?

The bag of medicated chick starter says, "As an aid in prevention of Coccidiosis where immunity to Coccidiosis is not desired." I want both prevention and immunity, but the phrase on the bag implies that I'm choosing prevention instead of immunity.

I currently have 45 chickens, RIR's, Australorps, Penedesenca's, Easter Egger's, and a few New Hampshire Red's. I have a new batch of 25 RIR's, 25 Black Stars, 15 White Leghorns, and 2 Penedescenca Roos (I'm gonna hatch my own Senc's!) coming the first aof April and the fisrt of May. When should i let them range with my older flock? And will all the birds, minus the roos, get along?

I currently have 45 chickens, RIR's, Australorps, Penedesenca's, Easter Egger's, and a few New Hampshire Red's. I have a new batch of 25 RIR's, 25 Black Stars, 15 White Leghorns, and 2 Penedescenca Roos (I'm gonna hatch my own Senc's!) coming the first aof April and the fisrt of May. When should i let them range with my older flock? And will all the birds, minus the roos, get along?
The best age to integrate young birds with old ones is at around 16 weeks of age.

If you do it before then there is a risk of injury/death. If the younger ones don't stand up to the older ones they can get cornered and killed.

You have a batch coming Apr. and May, so four weeks apart. If they are day olds then the younger group will be too young - two weeks apart is the most I like.
So you would need two brooder areas for those groups. You can integrate them with each other when they are around the same size.

But I would wait until the youngest ones are 16 weeks to integrate with your older birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom